Super Contributor

Most unusual food you've ever eaten?

I ate okra one time. YUCK.

Honored Contributor

Re: Most unusual food you've ever eaten?

Cow brains.

Honored Contributor

@rustee wrote:

@rustee this made me laugh out loud as the first time I ate okra was in a soup I had at lunch.  I had never seen it before and asked the folks I was eating lunch with what the heck it was . . . I have to say it was delicious and it's more unattractive properties were masked within the soup . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Fried okra is one of my favorite things -- as an appetizer or side dish!  I've never had okra any other way though.

Most unusual for me is grilled octopus, called pulpo in Spanish restaurants.  Delicious.

Esteemed Contributor

@rustee wrote:

I like okra. It has to be prepared right.

Honored Contributor

LOVE fried okra!

Escargot in Vegas. I just had to do the 'Pretty Woman' thing, LOL!

It was okay, all I tasted was the garlic butter, though

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fried okra is delicious!

I'm not an adventurous eater, but I did try escargot once.  It was ok, but I wouldn't eat it again.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

Souse.  Not sure of spelling, it is a side dish made on butchering day, head meat from a hog, vinegar and a clear gel, yuk. Only the grown-ups ate it. I tasted it only once.

Super Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

Souse.  Not sure of spelling, it is a side dish made on butchering day, head meat from a hog, vinegar and a clear gel, yuk. Only the grown-ups ate it. I tasted it only once.

@Nomorebirthdays

That sounds very much like the pigs-feet dish my Lithuanian grandmother prepared.  Yuck!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've visited France many times. I eat foods there that I would NEVER eat at home (e.g. escargots). Years ago, my husband and I stayed at a chef-owned hotel in southwest France. The food was some of the best I ever ate. One evening, the server brought me the cassoulet I had ordered and told me I was about to eat a very important dish. Since I speak French, I asked him what all the different foods were in the casserole dish. When he said "cou farci" I was taken aback. After the waiter left, my husband asked why I looked a little strange. I told him that cou farci is stuffed goose neck. After a few glasses of wine, I tasted it. The cou farci was delicious!