Honored Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Wish Amarillo, Tx would spray for moths. Dang ! moths!

My son lives in TX  (Houston) and mosquitos there are horrible! When I visit in summer I get eaten alive. The humidity there is unbearable!

@KKJ    I lived there over 30 years.  IMO Houston is not fit for human habitation.  Mosquitos are just one of many problems.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Usually our town sneaks in the mosquito truck this time of year at about one a.m.

I would like some notice too, so my bedroom windows won't be open.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Wish Amarillo, Tx would spray for moths. Dang ! moths!

My son lives in TX  (Houston) and mosquitos there are horrible! When I visit in summer I get eaten alive. The humidity there is unbearable!

@KKJ    I lived there over 30 years.  IMO Houston is not fit for human habitation.  Mosquitos are just one of many problems.

Interesting you say that as I talked to a guy recently who lived many places in the US and said Houston was by far the WORST.  He minced no words and said it was a h*llhole with not nice people and bad drivers, and he went on and on!

Esteemed Contributor

I had no idea that this is ever done.  Interesting.  Not sure i would like the fumes and residue all over.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Mosquito control

[ Edited ]

There are many of us who remember those trucks fumigating us with DDT.  It's a wonder we haven't all died of cancer...or worse.

DDT - Main hazards: Toxic, dangerous to the environment, likely carcinogenic

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I heard the stuff that's sprayed from the mosquito trucks now is Malathion. Not sure though, or how toxic it is.

Valued Contributor

I did call (had to call twice, first time I got a no one available message) and was assured there was no difference in dosing. 

Sorry, I saw it with my own eyes and it was a lot more coming out of that sprayer. They said not though. I guess it is possible the truck was malfunctioning or something. Who knows.

They also said they had increased their servicing schedule due to predicted rain over the next few days. Smiley Indifferent

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

There are many of us who remember those trucks fumigating us with DDT.  It's a wonder we haven't all died of cancer...or worse.

My Grandmother's house was on the Barnegat Bay In NJ. I spent most of my childhood summers there. Lots of mosquitos by the Bay. The trucks came around once a week spraying that nasty stuff. We knew the day of the week the truck was expected but not the exact time.If we were outside when the truck came we would fly into the house and quickly close every window. Some kids actually followed the truck on their bikes!

Honored Contributor

@FlyersGirl wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

My Grandmother's house was on the Barnegat Bay In NJ. I spent most of my childhood summers there. Lots of mosquitos by the Bay. The trucks came around once a week spraying that nasty stuff. We knew the day of the week the truck was expected but not the exact time.If we were outside when the truck came we would fly into the house and quickly close every window. Some kids actually followed the truck on their bikes!

@FlyersGirl   That's what we did! Follow the truck on our bikes or run after it!