Esteemed Contributor

Re: Morgan Freeman Reading Lewis Op Ed.

@Tadaki   I will watch that video over and over and never tire of it.

John Lewis was the best of humanity.

Trusted Contributor

Yes! It is perfect. It sums up his values: Work for equaliy, do it with kindness, never stop.

And Freeman must have been "channelling" Lewis the whole time, because I kept forgetting it wasn't Lewis himself speaking.

Lewis was unique, but I believe there are many among us whose lives express his values, in myriad, quieter ways. It inspires me to remember to notice and appreciate them. 

Honored Contributor

Representative John Lewis also championed voting rights. To honor him, make sure you are registered and request your absentee ballot if that is allowed for Covid reasons in your area. I have my absentee ballot ready to drop off for our upcoming TN election and am set to do it again for November.

Follow all the directions for requesting and submitting your absentee ballot. If it says to sign the envelope--sign the envelope! This is not a partisan thing. I think everyone of all beliefs and values should and must exercise our hard fought right to vote this year and every year we can. Do not let fear or apathy take away your precious voice and right to be heard.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Thank you so much for posting this.  I hadn't seen it.  @CrazyKittyLvr2 

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain   Well said.  Being I only have to go 4 miles to town and vote, there is nothing, including this stupid  virus, that will keep me from going to vote.

Let's hope the USPS gets their you-know-what together so the absentee/mail  in ballots get out and back in a timely fashion.

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  You are most welcome.   I hope you, Ava and Henry are well.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Porcelain   Well said.  Being I only have to go 4 miles to town and vote, there is nothing, including this stupid  virus, that will keep me from going to vote.

Let's hope the USPS gets their you-know-what together so the absentee/mail  in ballots get out and back in a timely fashion.

We received ours within a few days of sending out the request forms. Easy as pie and very quick.

They check your signature on there against the signature they have on file, same way they do at the polling place. And there is a tracking number that indicates that you have your one and only ballot -- to make sure people can't try to vote twice or anything like that. It seems very well run and orderly to me. People have been voting this way for a long time and I can understand why.

I am glad nothing will stop you from voting. I share your determination. Woman Very Happy

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain  On the national news they said there have been cuts at the USPS and that things have been piling up.  That worries me greatly.

Trusted Contributor

I went online to request a ballot by mail for the general election.  In my state, I can drop my completed ballot off at the Board of Elections or at a local early voting station I believe they said starting in mid-October.  I think they are increasing the time that early voting locations will be open and available.  So I will not have to return my ballot by mail if I choose not to.

Then again, I am in a state that does not try to restrict voting rights.

Honored Contributor

@naturalfan wrote:

I went online to request a ballot by mail for the general election.  In my state, I can drop my completed ballot off at the Board of Elections or at a local early voting station I believe they said starting in mid-October.  I think they are increasing the time that early voting locations will be open and available.  So I will not have to return my ballot by mail if I choose not to.

Then again, I am in a state that does not try to restrict voting rights.

Me too, I live in Massachusetts. Heart

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson