Frequent Contributor

More mama drama................oh brother!

We are in the final stages of relocating to Newton, MA. My husband and the kids have gone and I am here wrapping up the move to the new home and closure of the old home. Easy sale, selling to a student of mine at the University and her husband.

Anyway, my usually Muenhausen Syndrome ridden hypochondriac mother apparently not only sees a quack for an MD, but for her dentist as well. He found a lesion on her tongue and told her it was probably nothing. So then he sent her to an oral surgeon with a God complex. Last week this guy told her after the biopsy that it was a stage 2 malignancy. Then he told her that he would have to remove the area and any surrounding tissue WITHOUT telling her her life would change 100%. No mention of a feeding tube or speech therapy, and if he had to, he could take tissue from her arm???? Fat cells do not turn into muscle cells, and the tongue is one of the strongest muscles in the body. So she told me she would be hospitalized for 7 days. So I drove up to Milwaukee and had an hour long chat with her about oral cancers and the subsequent surgery. So she went with me to a very good friend whose husband is a dentist in Milwaukee for a second opinion. He sent her to a much more compassionate oral surgeon who said that he could try radiation first.

Last night, back in my now creepy and boxed up home alone, I called to check on her and she was as cold as ice again. But I guess at least I know I did the right thing.