Trusted Contributor

More and more are going hungry

Now it is over 54 Million have gone to bed hungry Smiley Sad  The pantries here are almost bone dry Smiley Sad  I would be willing to donate a few items everytime I go groceries to help....they are comparing the hunger to the great depression....ugh

Esteemed Contributor

Re: More and more are going hungry

You can write a check and mail to the Food Bank in your area.   I just received a donation request letter.  With cash FB can buy the products needed the most.

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

You can write a check and mail to the Food Bank in your area.   I just received a donation request letter.  With cash FB can buy the products needed the most.

——————

You can also donate to most charities online now if that is your preference. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mother told me how her father would take the food stamps he earned by working on government-sponsored public works projects to get food and rent vouchers.  The government would allot each family a specified amount of flour, sugar, milk, butter. etc.  And she said that each family received a whole chicken which was portioned out into different recipes throughout the week.  

Each family had a garden to supply as much produce as possible.  If families had more than they could use before spoilage, it was shared with those whose supply had fallen short.  Knowing that there would be homeless folks who were hungry, my grandma cooked more than the family could eat and offered a meal to those living in the parks and on the streets. 

Thanks so much to the folks who donate time, money, and food to the food banks.  

Esteemed Contributor

@tucsongal YES there are many ways to help .....for me I prefer not to expose my credit card info out there on the world wide web more than necessary.

If check is stolen.......thief will only get the value of the check.= $50

Thanks for pointing that out.

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

@tucsongal YES there are many ways to help .....for me I prefer not to expose my credit card info out there on the world wide web more than necessary.

If check is stolen.......thief will only get the value of the check.= $50

Thanks for pointing that out.

@fthunt 

Thats not necessarily true anymore. A stolen check provides the thief with your bank account number, your name and address, and the name of your bank.  That can be enough to commit identity fraud.  It happened to my son and was a mess to clean up.  It's MUCH easier to cancel a credit card and you are not responsible for any fraudulent charges.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@northiie57 

The idea of hungry people in our country is heartbreaking to me.  I know it is nothing new, but there is no reason for it.  We have so much.

Rather than cry endlessly about it, I donate monthly to the Maryland Food Bank which goes to help people in my area.  It's a small thing, but at least I feel like I'm trying.

The long lines of folks picking up food make me deeply sad.  It should not be this way.

Regular Contributor

More & more bad news!

Honored Contributor

Here in NYC there are many local groups and churches that distribute food (and clothing). 

At our apartment offices - there are bins to collect donations of food and clothing for the needy.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags OKAY - I'M WRONG............

This posting is about helping he needy...........not competition in banking.

YOU ARE RIGHT..................

No wonder many postings go off the rails