QVC Customer Care

Re: Moonwalking -- 48 Years Ago Today

Regular Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

It is hard to believe that today is the 48th anniversary of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin's walk on the moon. The Eagle has landed!   I remember it as if it were yesterday.  We had our "main" TV, a color one that certainly not every household had back then, in our den  on the first floor of our house..  My family -- both my parents were still alive then -  and I were glued to the TV as Neil Armstrong descended the ladder and planted the American flag.   We were swelling with pride at all America had accomplished in the "space race" with the Russians, and were also in complete awe that a man was walking (or rather it looked like bouncing!) on the surface of the moon.   I remember going outside that night and looking up at the moon, marveling that two Americans had walked on it and still not quite believing it.   As I don't quite believe that almost half a century has gone by.

Those were exciting times and those were very, very courageous men, those astronauts.

Here is a link to the NASA site describing what happened.  Which in a nutshell was this, those famous words of Neil Armstrong's as I heard them firsthand as he uttered them all those many years ago:"That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

Who else remembers watching it?  What a memory!

From the NASA site:

At 10:56 p.m. EDT Armstrong is ready to plant the first human foot on another world. With more than half a billion people watching on television, he climbs down the ladder and proclaims: "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

Aldrin joins him shortly, and offers a simple but powerful description of the lunar surface: "magnificent desolation." They explore the surface for two and a half hours, collecting samples and taking photographs.

They leave behind an American flag, a patch honoring the fallen Apollo 1 crew, and a plaque on one of Eagle's legs. It reads, "Here men from the planet Earth first set foot upon the moon. July 1969 A.D. We came in peace for all mankind."

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/apollo11.html

I remember that night.  I was 13 and was laying on the floor in  front of our B&W TV with my parents nearby.  It was a hot July night with no AC back then but we were glued to the television.  I think my mother started to cry and my father may have too, I don't know.  I was just in awe. Many times since I have looked at the moon and wondered about that American flag up there--wondering if it is still "flying." What an enormous  accomplishment of mankind!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is hard to believe and I remember watching even though I was just 6 at the time but it was such an unbelievable thing in all our worlds.

I only just read a couple of weeks ago in an old article about Sharon Tate's Mom, Doris that this moonwalk was the last time she was with her daughter.  Spent the day with Sharon at their home then said she crawled into bed with her so they could watch together.   48 years.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

It is hard to believe and I remember watching even though I was just 6 at the time but it was such an unbelievable thing in all our worlds.

I only just read a couple of weeks ago in an old article about Sharon Tate's Mom, Doris that this moonwalk was the last time she was with her daughter.  Spent the day with Sharon at their home then said she crawled into bed with her so they could watch together.   48 years.

@beckyb1012  Thanks for your post.   In all that I've read over these many years (and at the time) about the Manson case, I'd never known that.  How sad.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@beckyb1012  Thanks for your post.   In all that I've read over these many years (and at the time) about the Manson case, I'd never known that.  How sad.

Your welcome.  Her sister keeps the website and Instagram going in Sharon's honor and I just saw the photos of her pregnant in a bathing suit.  I was so taken aback not just that she posed in the late 60's so freely but that was for real a baby with her murdered.  Reading about her child was one thing but then seeing those photos of her stroking her baby was very moving.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."