Esteemed Contributor

Moms on phone ignoring child.

I had to run to Dr. first thing this am due to a ripping sinus infection I developed over the weekend.  I abhor going to the Dr. in the first place and I felt horrible to boot.

There was a woman I guess late 20's and she had the cutest little boy about 2 or so with her.  Only us and 1 other man in the waiting room.  I went to the far end of the room and picked up a magazine.  The little boy came over and I said hello.  He had a little metal toy and he winged it in my direction. I guess he's version of catch. I picked it up and handed it back and said Oh, honey, don't throw it you might hit someone or hit the window.  There is a wall of windows behind where I was.  Yeah, that didn't work.  I looked at Mom and her nose was in her phone. The receptionist was watching this.  She and I have known each other for years and we gave each other the look. He did it again and it hit the window. Mom looked up and said Mason don't do that and back to the phone

The receptionist came out and called the Mom by name and said Mason needed to stop throwing this toy.

Yes, I could have said something but I didn't feel good and I knew whatever I said was not going to be pleasant. Best to keep my trap shut. What I really wanted was to grab that blessed phone and throw it in the parking lot.

I never let my kids bother other people when we went somewhere. I feel bad for the little guy.  Mom probably pays more attention to her phone than to him.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Moms on phone ignoring child.

[ Edited ]

The receptionist took care of the situation as she should have.

Funny how people see a situation for 15 min and know what happens 24/7 in someones life.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I try not to judge when I see things like that.  The boy could have woken up not feeling well and the mother may have been online with work because of the unexpected doctor's visit.  She could have another family member sick and in the hospital and was checking in on them.  I guess what I'm trying to say, is there could have been a million more pressing things that had to be addressed right at that moment.  We weren't in her shoes so we don't know for sure.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am amazed at the number of women who let their young children roam free in department stores.     Of course......I am also surprised at the number of them bringing  dogs, too....................so I guess I am "old fashioned".

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Occasional Contributor

I agee.  There are too many parents glued to their phones, they don’t even know what’s going on around them.  I like the parking lot idea.  Except they would probably leave the child unattended to run out and get it!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy   You never look good trying to make someone else look bad.  

Edited to add:  I don't know how, but the last line was truncated.  "This is good advice." should have followed your signature line, which is one I like. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

@Travone   I know what my kids were like when they didn't feel well. This little guy was full of energy.  No matter what Mom was doing it would have taken 5 seconds to take the toy he was throwing.  

What if he hit someone in the face with the metal toy or broke someone's glasses? 

This isn't the first time I've seen kids running around unsupervised while the parents had their heads buried in a phone.

Honored Contributor

It was not your place to say anything so it's good that you didn't.  The receptionist took care of it, it's her job.  There's nothing new about distracted parents or parents who let their children run wild in public.  It's cell phones today;  it was magazines before that.  I can remember sitting in doctor or dentist's office and some woman would have her head buried in a magazine while her kids tore the place apart.  Often the receptions refuse to say anything, if there is a window, they pretend they don't see anything.  That would happen at my PT's office.  Lucky me, my appointments were at the same time that some woman with three school age boys had her appointment.  She left them in the reception area while she saw the therapist and let's just say, it was not pleasant experience for anyone sitting there.  The receptionist would shrug her shoulders like "what can I do?" and she close the little window.  There have always been and will always be bad parents.

Trusted Contributor

@Retired Legal Secretary

I'm with you 100%. More distracted parents nowadays. Prime example is children being left in hot cars!
Honored Contributor

Its sad but not uncommon these days.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)