Esteemed Contributor

Anyone else think about missing the old days when younger? Ive been thinking about it a lot lately and so has my brother. We wish there was a time machine! lol.

Why?

My brother is starting with health issues and was always very active and I mean working out, hiking, biking, skiing. Now hes getting spine surgery this week for stenosis because he cant walk but 15 minutes due to pain. He also started getting seizures out of the blue a few years ago (and almost died) They never found out why. Those seizures have aged him and hes on medication.

Me- I have back problems for years and plates in my neck, so I haven'tworked for a long time and see a pain Dr and Neurosurgeon all the time..

But now find out I developed a heart murmur and Dr is sending me for 2 heart tests next week to see if I have a bad heart valve.Because she said when over 50 and suddenly get heart murmurs it could be a bad heart valve and I am praying its not. (My mom died every young from heart disease as did her dad and her mom). So I am quite worried.

Tomorrow I must also go to eye surgeon about surgery on left eye because oh I'm in the small percent of people who got fog on my cataract lens (Causing blurred vision) plus they found a fold in my right eye near retina.so need a 3D eye test.

And I just had skin cancer removed, (plus had breast cancer 8 years ago so still see cancer Dr).

All  I do is spend time at doctors and I'm not that old! Its all a bit overwhelming that I have now spoken to my Dr about taking some sort of anxiety meds. I am deciding before my next appt. 

Not to sound like a downer, and yeah I'm trying to keep my chin up, and I havent been online as much but trying to paint for a hobby and read (blurred vision not helping),.but I miss the old days when I never had to worry about much of anything! lol., and I am sick of going to Drs.constantly. My brother who's the most positive person on earth said the same thing. 

Lastly I thank God every day because I have a wonderful husband who takes me to all these appointments even though he works six days a week year round! 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

Prayers for you and your family.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes...I agree..

So many of our friends have bad backs, knees....hips and are on all kinds of medications.

We have the time now in retirement to do more, but our bodies are limiting us.

Honored Contributor

Hugs. It takes a brave human being to weather the Age Wars. Fight with all you’ve got. YOU’RE WORTH IT.

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

Anyone else think about missing the old days when younger? Ive been thinking about it a lot lately and so has my brother. We wish there was a time machine! lol.

Why?

My brother is starting with health issues and was always very active and I mean working out, hiking, biking, skiing. Now hes getting spine surgery this week for stenosis because he cant walk but 15 minutes due to pain. He also started getting seizures out of the blue a few years ago (and almost died) They never found out why. Those seizures have aged him and hes on medication.

Me- I have back problems for years and plates in my neck, so I haven'tworked for a long time and see a pain Dr and Neurosurgeon all the time..

But now find out I developed a heart murmur and Dr is sending me for 2 heart tests next week to see if I have a bad heart valve.Because she said when over 50 and suddenly get heart murmurs it could be a bad heart valve and I am praying its not. (My mom died every young from heart disease as did her dad and her mom). So I am quite worried.

Tomorrow I must also go to eye surgeon about surgery on left eye because oh I'm in the small percent of people who got fog on my cataract lens (Causing blurred vision) plus they found a fold in my right eye near retina.so need a 3D eye test.

And I just had skin cancer removed, (plus had breast cancer 8 years ago so still see cancer Dr).

All  I do is spend time at doctors and I'm not that old! Its all a bit overwhelming that I have now spoken to my Dr about taking some sort of anxiety meds. I am deciding before my next appt. 

Not to sound like a downer, and yeah I'm trying to keep my chin up, and I havent been online as much but trying to paint for a hobby and read (blurred vision not helping),.but I miss the old days when I never had to worry about much of anything! lol., and I am sick of going to Drs.constantly. My brother who's the most positive person on earth said the same thing. 

Lastly I thank God every day because I have a wonderful husband who takes me to all these appointments even though he works six days a week year round! 

@Shorty2U 

I wish I could give you a big hug!!!  I sure can commiserate with you! DH and I talk a lot about the old days, also.  While we both try and remain positive and we are truly grateful and thankful for each day and the blessing of each other, at times it is hard to stay upbeat!  

More and more, we each have been plagued with extremely serious health issues and the health issues of family members.  We talk about times in the past and how we miss our parents and our family members.  But we aren't all sad, as we have so many happy memories as well.  

Getting older has so many challenges.  Your brother sounds a lot like my husband.  No matter what he faces each day, he continues to have the best sense of humor and he makes me laugh -- a lot --- every single day.  

I also miss the ways of life in the past and all the changes in the world now.  I know there are a lot of positive changes but there are also a lot of negative things which make me very sad and give me an unsettled feeling.

I wish the very best for you, your husband and brother!  We're all in this crazy game of life together!  We're up, we're down, and every which way --- but we're still here and kicking!!!!  --- Just maybe not as high.  LOL!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Honored Contributor

Seems like we retire, so there's more time to get to the doctor's appointments. LOL.  But it's true.  I didn't want to be one of those older people who only talked about aches and pains and doctor visits.  But, here I am.  I think about such things more to myself than talk about them though.  There's more to life than that.  So far, so good.

Esteemed Contributor

That old saying comes to mind “Getting old isn’t for wimps”   Your right the hardest thing is seeing your family and friends and yourself age and pass. I keep asking myself” where did the time go?” 

My cousin passed this morning age 59 her heart just stopped!  I just can’t wrap myself around this. So young. 

Take care of yourselves all and wear it use it don’t let anything sit for another time-for you just never know. ❤️🙏

Esteemed Contributor

I wish I had my 72-year-old wisdom in those good old days. I wish I appreciated my good health way back when. I certainly can identify with those of us baby boomers who are facing illness. In my case two cancers, one fake knee, and a husband with Alzheimer’s. The good old days weren’t great for everyone but for those of a certain age, the good old days were great for our bodies.

Respected Contributor

The AMA has no interest in finding the root causes of people's ills.  All they learn is how to treat the symptoms w/various medications - which in turn causes more problems and yet more medications.  It's a big bucks business.

I am sorry you're in pain and dealing w/doctors.  It's a vicious cycle to be riding. 

I often think of better times when I was younger as well.  I miss my family that I grew up with, I miss our family home, the pets and last night I had a dream about my Mom - gone over 3 years now.  Dad's been gone almost 35 years.  Makes me sad but that's life.  An older person recently told me "Life is nothing but putting out one fire after another" - and I think she's right!

Flowers are nature's way of laughing