Esteemed Contributor

Re: Miss-Trail in Cosby Case

"...people meet and have drinks (in hotel rooms and elsewhere) all the time without it ending in rape and assault." @NYC Susan

@NYC Susan, I hope you don't mind me taking the portion of your post I wanted to address. I hate those super-long quotations and everything else you said in your post I agree with 100%. I even agree with the above statement EXCEPT that most people who meet with other people are not women who have twice previously been touched inappropriately by a married man, accepting drugs from him meant to take the edge off and expecting it to suddenly be all above board. 

Like you I would never blame the victim, but as a juror it would certainly lead to me having reasonable doubt as to her motives that night, especially without the benefit of knowing she was one of many who claimed abuse by Cosby. 

Honored Contributor

@WORKING GAL wrote:

I am wondering why Cosby's wife, Camille, only showed up in court one time according to the news coverage. After the mis-trial was announced, a member of the defense team (a woman) read a statement from Cosby's wife.  She blasted the judge, defense team and the media.  In view of the fact that the prosecution has already said they would re-try the case, that wasn't too smart.  The media coverage said that the same defense team and the judge would be the same in the next trial. Cosby seemed to be walking just fine after the trial was over.  Not surprising at all.  Gloria Allred said she would be trying Cosby in a civil suit in Santa Monica, Ca. near the end of June. 

@WORKING GAL I think you're confusing the prosecution and the defense team.  The defense team was defending Bill Cosby.  Camille Cosby was blasting the prosecution and the judge.  The media coverage said that the prosecution team and judge would be the same next time. 

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Cosby's wife is a sorry excuse for a woman. I hope she is not that naive to believe her husband was a saint.  What he did was even sicker than just cheating.    She is going to call out the Judge and District Attorney.  There will be another trial and I hope he does not get off because he is a celebrity (that's really sick).  Cat Mad

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

No person asks to be raped.

No one said that these women asked to be raped. But I do say that if you choose to go to a man's room alone, accept a driink or pills or whatever, you are accepting whatever comes next. Either these women are stupid or they left their common sense at home.

@Perkup So you are saying that going to a man's room alone and having a drink or pills means you are accepting getting raped as a possible outcome... that just does not seem right to me. No man has the right to have sex with you no matter what the circumstances are...without your consent. If you are passed out, that does not give a man the right to rape you.  

Respected Contributor

You can take drugs voluntarily.   That still doesn't mean you consent to being raped 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

"...people meet and have drinks (in hotel rooms and elsewhere) all the time without it ending in rape and assault." @NYC Susan

@NYC Susan, I hope you don't mind me taking the portion of your post I wanted to address. I hate those super-long quotations and everything else you said in your post I agree with 100%. I even agree with the above statement EXCEPT that most people who meet with other people are not women who have twice previously been touched inappropriately by a married man, accepting drugs from him meant to take the edge off and expecting it to suddenly be all above board. 

Like you I would never blame the victim, but as a juror it would certainly lead to me having reasonable doubt as to her motives that night, especially without the benefit of knowing she was one of many who claimed abuse by Cosby. 

I understand what you're saying, but I was replying to comments made by another poster who wasn't speaking about just this particular victim.  She has been posting about men/women in general and her belief that women are to blame if they meet a man for a drink.  My point was that it happens all the time in the entertainment business (and elsewhere), and that overwhelmingly the women do not end up being drugged and raped.

It's extremely unfortunate that this particular victim is the one who was able to bring him to trial.  It goes without saying that a woman has the right to give consent each and every time, so I still see her as a victim.  However, there are many other victims with more compelling and clear-cut stories, some of whom had no previous experience with him and did not consent at all to being given any type of medication.

Feel free to edit my replies however you would like.  I know I'm long-winded, so it's no problem at all!

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@WORKING GAL wrote:

I am wondering why Cosby's wife, Camille, only showed up in court one time according to the news coverage. After the mis-trial was announced, a member of the defense team (a woman) read a statement from Cosby's wife.  She blasted the judge, defense team and the media.  In view of the fact that the prosecution has already said they would re-try the case, that wasn't too smart.  The media coverage said that the same defense team and the judge would be the same in the next trial. Cosby seemed to be walking just fine after the trial was over.  Not surprising at all.  Gloria Allred said she would be trying Cosby in a civil suit in Santa Monica, Ca. near the end of June. 

@WORKING GAL

Yes, I saw that ... Camille was there only one day ... for the defense's presentation, which only lasted 6 minutes.   Her comments were very unwise, seeing as this whole thing isn't nearly over yet.

Interesting that suddenly BC can see, and doesn't need a cane.   He's been fooling people his whole life.

SO glad that Gloria Allred is going up against him .....   she's a real shark in the court room!  

Yes!  Yes!  Yes! (One yes for each paragraph!)  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

No person asks to be raped.

No one said that these women asked to be raped. But I do say that if you choose to go to a man's room alone, accept a driink or pills or whatever, you are accepting whatever comes next. Either these women are stupid or they left their common sense at home.

@Perkup So you are saying that going to a man's room alone and having a drink or pills means you are accepting getting raped as a possible outcome... that just does not seem right to me. No man has the right to have sex with you no matter what the circumstances are...without your consent. If you are passed out, that does not give a man the right to rape you.  

Exactly.  That's what we should be teaching our daughters.  Not that it's okay.  Or - even worse - that it's the woman's fault.

Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan that makes sense, and again, I agree 100%. Like you, I really wish the accuser had been one of his other victims without all the extenuating circumstances.

Thanks, I didn't mean to edit your post other than some of those with quotations can get so long and confusing as to who's saying what. Nothing wrong with being long-winded when you have something you want to say. I'm not exactly succinct in my own posts so I get it! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

That's bull ******.