Trusted Contributor

I have read a lot of books and blogs about minmalism.  Everyone thinks it means having very few things and that is one definition.  It is really about getting rid of the things in your life that no longer serve you to make room for the things that do.  For example, if by having a lot of stuff to put away and clean, it may take away time that a person would rather spend doing something else.  Or is could mean having things that you love and use (like the case with the woman and the jewelry).  What is considered too much stuff differs for every person.

Honored Contributor

Like another poster mentioned, didn't know I was raised minimalist, I just thought we were poor !   (we were)

Honored Contributor

It takes work to get to be a true minimalist. But once you get there then you are free and the things that you owned don't own you anymore.

Honored Contributor

I could see myself changing my lifestyle and living in a tiny house one day. A really nice one with plumbing and heat and all that. And wifi. Near an ocean would be nice too.

My biggest problem would be clothes and handbags because I just love them so much. Would have to have a nearby storage unit lol

Minimalism can be taken to extremes in the same way that too much stuff can.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

It makes sense. Today I went through the linen closet and did a purging. One pair of lightweight sheets and one pair of polar fleece is all we need in the master bedroom. When I launder them, they go back on the bed anyway. I then threw out my old Berkshire fluffy throws which looked like matted cat fur and brought out new ones which feel like a mink coat.

Honored Contributor

I don’t want clutter or lots of excess but Minimalist is more extreme than I’m ever likely to be interested in. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm anti-clutter but don't know if I've reached a minimalist level yet. Simplicity and using wisdom with purchases is where I'm at. We do like to spend $$ on travel and being more careful with our spending is one way we do it. I'm holding onto my dollars a little while longer and I like it that way. I've mentioned before -- my dad downsized to apartment and practiced minimalism before passing away. A hundred thank you's -- as his daughter. My in-laws, 85 & 90 -- haven't given the next generation a second thought, and I'm married to their oldest son. Grrr. Can't make people be reasonable. Good luck to you. There is freedom in this lifestyle.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:
Our oldest son is a minimalist. He does not want anything extra in his home that he does not need. He is going to get a rude awakening soon when I start giving him some of his stuff that I know/hope we won’t part with.

@Puppy Lips 

With all due respect, it may be you who will be in for a "rude awakening" when you force your stuff on to your son.

Once given to him, he's free to do whatever he wants with it, even throw it in the garbage or give it to a second-hand store.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:
Our oldest son is a minimalist. He does not want anything extra in his home that he does not need. He is going to get a rude awakening soon when I start giving him some of his stuff that I know/hope we won’t part with.

@Puppy Lips 

With all due respect, it may be you who will be in for a "rude awakening" when you force your stuff on to your son.

Once given to him, he's free to do whatever he wants with it, even throw it in the garbage or give it to a second-hand store.

SHE  isn;t forcing her stuff, it's his stuff.

Honored Contributor

My sister is a minimalist. 

I'm a maximumalist .... she gives all the stuff she doesn't want.

Works out great!