Super Contributor

What do you think about Ming pearls? Apparently they are new to the pearl industry. I love the natural metallic colors but am not sure about the lumpy uneven surface.

Anyone own these? Why do you like/dislike them?

Super Contributor

Of course this is just my opinion, but these pearls are probably the ones that have traditionally been thrown out as not usable.

Sellers are running out of ideas to sell product, so they are calling these pearls by a "fancy" name and selling them.

Trusted Contributor
On 6/23/2014 MaggieToo said:

Of course this is just my opinion, but these pearls are probably the ones that have traditionally been thrown out as not usable.

Sellers are running out of ideas to sell product, so they are calling these pearls by a "fancy" name and selling them.

I have to agree.

It's just like the "dyed" or "color" pearls. Those are pearls that just aren't quite up to snuff, and they color them for use in jewelry. There must be a lot of them out there.

Esteemed Contributor

I just googled them and it's a new process.

The new big thing (last three or so years only) in pearls are the big freshwater bead nucleated pearls from China. These are branded as Edison pearls or Ming pearls or are described as ripple pearls. They are big – up to 17mm, round or symmetrically baroque (because of the bead inside), have a lustre ranging from metallic to gloriously satiny, and a smooth to convoluted or rippled. They come in a range of natural colours from white to pink, purple, peach, gold, with greens and blues. (you can see our ripple pearls here and we have smooth surfaced Edison and generic bead nucleated pearls throughout the freshwater section ..here is one beautiful example of a bead nucleated Edison pearl necklace

http://www2.pearlescence.co.uk/blog/tag/edison-pearls/

Super Contributor

The Ming pearls in the photo in Lila Belle's link look nothing like the Honora Ming pearls. Of course there's a big price difference but they don't resemble each other at all. You're probably right Maggie. Thanks for the info Lila Belle.

Respected Contributor

Ming Pearls are bead nucleated freshwater pearls grown in a hybrid of Hyriopsis schlegeli and Hyriopsis cumingii. They are grown in a gonad instead of mantle grown like most freshwater pearls are. You may also find these pearls known as Edison pearls. Edison and Ming are the same pearls but Grace has branded their pearls as Edisons.

Respected Contributor

Ripple pearls are a by product of this type of bead nucleated freshwaters which were not perfectly round which was the goal of the pearl farmer.

Super Contributor

Thanks esmeralda!

Super Contributor

I may be the exception, but I like uneven, textured pearls better than the completely round kind. I was never a pearl fan until I started seeing some of the different textures. I also like the colors rather than all white.

Honored Contributor
On 6/23/2014 azterry! said:

I may be the exception, but I like uneven, textured pearls better than the completely round kind. I was never a pearl fan until I started seeing some of the different textures. I also like the colors rather than all white.

I'm with you! I also love the Keshi pearls.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices