Honored Contributor

Turn on the BBQ.

Regular Contributor

We had that happen a few times at our hunting camp.  My husband went to put burgers on one time, opened the grill top and there were about 4 baby mice all curled up in a pile of what looked like cotton balls and straw.  He got rid of them--I did not ask how--, cleaned out the nest and then turned the grill on high for about half an hour. After it was blazing he turned it off then after a while he turned it back on and  put on the burgers. We ate our meal but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I would've otherwise.  Other family members have found nests in  the grill also but only we found mice.  Yuk!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have WASPS building nests in my grill. I hate those things!

Regular Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have WASPS building nests in my grill. I hate those things!

Definately turn on the gas for those puppies!  They won't know what hit them!

Valued Contributor

Peppermint oil gets rid of everything, and there is a product called Mouse Magic that is peppermint oil with diatomaceous Earth that they will avoid like the plague.  It's humane and safe for pets and won't poison your food (or your conscience).

Honored Contributor

@Glittergal wrote:

Peppermint oil gets rid of everything, and there is a product called Mouse Magic that is peppermint oil with diatomaceous Earth that they will avoid like the plague.  It's humane and safe for pets and won't poison your food (or your conscience).

I use diatomaceous earth on my roses,some flowers, ground for grubs.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Venezia  Could the name possibly be Victor Electronic Trap?  I found a device fitting your description available at Home Depot and other places by that name. 

@Kachina624 @goldensrbest - Sorry, yes!  Victor Electronic Trap.  (I don't know where that V-Tech came from.)

The first one I bought, I got at a local hardware store, but once I found it worked really well, I bought more on Amazon because the price was so much better.

When I had a really bad problem with mice in my garage last year, I caught about 16 or 17 in the same trap (each one with fresh batteries will kill up to a hundred).  Then, no more mice for a long time until this spring when I caught two more.  None since then thankfully!

Honored Contributor

Re: Mice problem

[ Edited ]

@Venezia Do you keep dog food in your garage?  That's how I got started with mice.  Now I keep it in a big tin can with a tight fitting lid.   I ordered one from Amazon. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

I HAD the same problem with the field mice nesting inside my grill during the winter - what a pain!! I used a small Styrofoam bowl filled with cloves, dried fresh peppermint leaves, mothballs & the "secret" ingredient was the FUR from my cat! Whenever I brushed her, I would collect the fur from her brush & put it in a cheap plastic container (Dollar Store); when it was time to close up grill for winter, my mice deterrent mixture would go inside grill. No problems from mice since. Also & probably most important clean & dispose of grease in grill's pan. VOILA! Good Luck & I hope it works for you.

Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest~~~I am in the same category as DrKelli, I am terrified of them. I am not particularly fond of these either, but I would take a snake, spider, or any bug over a mouse. 

They just do something to my central nervous center. My mom is the same and so was my grandmother.  

I would have given you the same advice as Kachina did.....steel wool. If you can plug everything up with that, they will not go through that. 

I sincerely hope you are able to get rid of them. BTW, they affect me so much, I almost didn't open the thread....it's true!  

Wishing you much good luck.