Frequent Contributor

Have any of you had your dog or cat treated with this medicine if so did it help your pet? My cat has just gotten through taking 5 rounds of it and I'm hoping that he won't have to back for more.

Respected Contributor

for a dog and yes it did help. My understanding is that it is not the best for long term treatment due to possible side effects. You need to ask your vet about this. I do not know what you are dealing with and it may be the best thing to use for that. Is 5 rounds 50 days? I have used it on more than one occasion with success but it was only a round of 7 - 10 days at a time. You can always talk to your vet about other options. I am sure they have a reason that they have used it with your kitty.

I hope your kitty is getting better.

doxie

Honored Contributor

I've used it on dogs, and it works great. Like Doxie, I only used it for 7 to 10 days. There are other options for long term use. On one dog, I used the metronidazole first and then switched to putting a small amount of Tylan powder on his food. I don't know if that is used for cats, but it kept my dog's diarrhea from coming back.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

I'm sorry I meant to say 5 doses from last Friday afternoon until Wednesday Mar 25th he had a bacteria infection. If I have to take him back I'm going to see there's something else that I can give him in a pill pocket so I won't have to take him everyday to have them him his medicine. He was taking 200MG/ML Suspension.

Honored Contributor

Metronidazole comes in pill form. I have a friend whose cat is taking it right now. He's a big cat though. Maybe it doesn't come in a small enough dosage for your cat.

-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

My vet wouldn't give to me in pill form because he said the medicine tastes so bad that it wouldn't work in a pill pocket and I couldn't get it down him in liquid form is the reason that I had to take him there each day to get it. He's lost weigh too.

Honored Contributor

I hope your cat gets better soon.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I used the pill form. It sounds like your vet knows the best way for your cat. They can be tricky to medicate. I have a feeling that if he needs something else they may try something different.

I know it was tough going there every day but hopefully that took care of it and he /she will not need anything else. Try to remember the vet trained to decide the best treatment. Talk to them and tell them your concerns. I know you do not want to mess with feeding a cat something that makes them not trust you to feed them something delicious.

I am going to think positive thoughts that you go and they do not have to give him any more treatment. Here is to a speedy recovery.

doxie

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your support! I hope that if he does need anymore medicine that there are other medications that can treat him and I certainly will tell the Vet my concerns.

Super Contributor

Metronidazole is used to kill certain types of parasitic and bacterial infections in cats. I've read that the side effects of this drug can be severe; from IBD to causing cancer in the cat.

The drug is strong (to kill parasites) and can cause a disruption in your cats digestive system.

It may take your kitty two to three weeks to have a normal BM after taking a course of this med. If diarrhea appears after the course of medication is finished, it can be the result of the medication and not the presence of the parasite and/or bacteria. Sometimes cat owners will insist on another round of metronidazole when the cat has diarrhea after the first course. But in my experience, the diarrhea is a side effect of the first course of metronidazole.

So if your cat has diarrhea after finishing this med you can give him some pure canned pumpkin in his canned cat food and that will help form a solid BM. In my experience it takes the cats GI system about 2 to 3 weeks to recuperate from the first course of the Metronidazole.

Just a heads up from my own experience with cats. Always consult your vet with your concerns about your cats health. Hope this helps. Smiley Happy