Respected Contributor

••Method Flushes Arsenic From Rice••

There's been a lot of publicity about high levels of arsenic in rice and I thought this was interesting.

The entire article is at this link:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/simple-cooking-method-flushes-arsenic-out-of-rice/?WT.mc_i...

"Cooking rice by repeatedly flushing it through with fresh hot water can remove much of the grain’s stored arsenic, researchers have found—a tip that could lessen levels of the toxic substance in one of the world’s most popular foods.

Billions of people eat rice daily, but it contributes more arsenic to the human diet than any other food.

Conventionally grown in flooded paddies, rice takes up more arsenic (which occurs naturally in water and soil as part of an inorganic compound) than do other grains.

High levels of arsenic in food have been linked to different types of cancer, and other health problems.

Andrew Meharg, a plant and soil scientist at Queen’s University Belfast, UK, wondered whether cooking the grain in a different way might help to lessen the health risk.

The standard method for making rice—boiling it in a pot until it soaks up all the liquid—binds into place any arsenic contained in the rice and the cooking water.

Percolation is key

On the basis of earlier work, Meharg and his colleagues knew that arsenic levels drop when rice is thoroughly rinsed and then cooked in an excessive amount of water.

The method helps even when the cooking water contains arsenic.

Meharg and colleagues found that using this method with increasing proportions of water removed progressively more arsenic—up to a 57 percent reduction with a ratio of 12 parts water to one part rice. That result confirmed that the arsenic is "mobile" in liquid water, and thus can be removed.

The team then cooked rice in an apparatus that continually condenses steam to produce a fresh supply of distilled hot water, and in an ordinary coffee percolator with a filter, which allows cooking water to drip out of the rice.

Testing the rice before and after cooking showed that coffee-pot percolation removed about half the arsenic, and that the lab apparatus removed around 60–70 percent. In some cases, the technique removed as much as 85 percent of the substance, depending on the type of rice used.

Meharg does not expect people to start cooking rice in their coffee machines. “We just took something that’s in everybody’s kitchen and applied it to show a principle,” he says.

He sees the research as a proof of concept that could feed the development of simple, inexpensive rice cookers that lower arsenic concentrations."

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

Re: ••Method Flushes Arsenic From Rice••

Here's an article that explains about the arsenic problem:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/01/how-much-arsenic-is-in-your-rice/index.htm

"How Much Arsenic Is In Your Rice?

Consumer Reports' new data and guidelines are important for everyone but especially for gluten avoiders."

Esteemed Contributor

Kind of seems like some 'entity' of sort wants to reduce the population en masse. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

I see it as a future business venture for Ron Popeil............the Ronco Flush-a-matic rice cooker.........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

I rarely eat rice, but do have it for my husband occasionally as he likes it.

I always try to buy organic rice from California as I heard they have the lowest levels of arsenic in their soil.

Respected Contributor

From the Consumer Reports article in my second post:

"Nicer rices

Our latest tests determined that the inorganic arsenic content of rice varies greatly depending on the type of rice and where it was grown. White basmati rice from California, India, and Pakistan, and sushi rice from the U.S. on average has half of the inorganic-arsenic amount of most other types of rice.

Our findings led us to treat those specific rices from those areas differently from other types of rice and rices grown in other regions. Based on our data, we calculated that consumers could have about twice as many weekly servings as we previously recommended if that was the only rice or rice product someone ate.

For adults, that adds up to 4½ servings per week; children could have 2¾ servings.

All types of rice (except sushi and quick cooking) with a label indicating that it’s from Arkansas, Louisiana, or Texas or just from the U.S. had the highest levels of inorganic arsenic in our tests.

For instance, white rices from California have 38 percent less inorganic arsenic than white rices from other parts of the country.

Brown rice has 80 percent more inorganic arsenic on average than white rice of the same type.

Arsenic accumulates in the grain’s outer layers, which are removed to make white rice. Brown has more nutrients, though, so you shouldn’t switch entirely to white. Brown basmati from California, India, or Pakistan is the best choice; it has about a third less inorganic arsenic than other brown rices.

Rice that’s grown organically takes up arsenic the same way conventional rice does, so don’t rely on organic to have less arsenic."

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Kind of seems like some 'entity' of sort wants to reduce the population en masse. 

Yes, and I believe it is "civilized" man...who is basically responsible for destroying everything...

Respected Contributor

You can say that again @Mothertrucker.

😔

Respected Contributor

@newziesuzie............that's a great article.........very informative........................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

Thanks Raven 😊 there are more good articles on this as well.