Honored Contributor

Re: Metal detector question?

@shoesnbags wrote:
  1. @Shorty2U I've had a knee replacement (titanium) for 8 years and in all that time, no one has ever been interested in the card my surgeon gave me. The knee does set off all of the metal detectors, but then they want to wand you and pat you down. Period. I always announce that I have a knee replacement ahead of time so no one is surprised. I think the problem with the card is that anyone could produce one of those nowadays. Mine actually has an X-ray of my knee on one side, but how does anyone know that's actually my knee? Personally, I wouldn't bother getting a card. 

I agree. It won't save you any time.  They'll still put you through the required procedure. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Even with a medical card, if your implants set off the metal detector, you will be referred for a pat-down. (at an airport)

I can verify this...it happened to me.  Easy to falsify a card so they carry no weight.

@Kachina624- like a terrorist couldn't get a card?  The security measures are in place for everyone's protection and I don't resent them or the time spent if I am called aside.  On a recent trip, I met with far more rigorous screening than I ever encountered in the US .  I don't understand objections...

Respected Contributor

Whether or not you set off the metal detectors, you aren't going to be denied entrance. 

How could anybody here know this?

Valued Contributor

The pin in my foot has never set off any alarms, but my underwire bra has!