Honored Contributor

Re: Men Hugging Each Other

[ Edited ]

I've seen a lot of man hugging in my life.  Never thought a thing about it.  I come from Italian roots where kissing and hugging went on all the time.  But it was not always genuine.

I lived in a part of Bergen County, NJ where the mafia reigned in the forties.  Sometimes those hugs and kisses ended in a field the next day.  Not kidding!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

My preference is for a cordial handshake for everyone. I realize that goes against the current social grain.  Not keen on "social" hugging, but to each his own! 

I don't like to shake hands with people. Who knows where their hands have been?

Fist bump.

Respected Contributor

Dependent on the culture this is not new.

Honored Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

i have noticed lately that men not only shake hands, but they hug each other.  i have nothing against it, but when did this start?  it seems that all are doing it.  even women don't hug everyone they meet. 

is this a new fad? 

@ladyroxanne

Men hug .....  and women "air kiss" .... lol.   Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I'd rather hug than shake hands.  I have pain issues with the base of my thumbs and I broke the little finger on my right hand a year ago, it's never healed and it's a real problem when people grab my hand.

Not to mention hands frequently carry cold germs, etc.

Give me a hug any day, not a handshake.

Valued Contributor

Re: Men Hugging Each Other

[ Edited ]

I'd agree with the others.  Many reasons to embrace. May have something to do with how one was raised, where, their culture as to comfort level and acceptability. My parents were also very demonstrative, which set a loving example. 

The men in my family have hugged for generations comfortably, and the young men continue with their friends. I'm happy to see they do not feel a stigma attached to it.

We all hug when first acknowledging each other and when leaving and we hold hands as well, when we are together.

I do not hug strangers, nor do I wish for them to hug me and keep my business relationships business.  I try to respect the space of others, and don't like my space invaded without giving permission.

I do offer my hand to all individuals instead of holding onto the old etiquette for women, as many today may not understand withholding my hand and consider it a slight. I'd rather have them feel comfortable on an introduction and handshakes are a connection of sorts. I'm a total a germaphobe so, I carry alcohol pads and wipes every where.

I don't know anyone personally, (thankfully) from any socio-economic class who air kisses.  Though I'm totally aware of its existence.

To each his own and their comfort level. 

Honored Contributor

@silentgirl wrote:

I'd agree with the others.  Many reasons to embrace. May have something to do with how one was raised, where, their culture as to comfort level and acceptability. My parents were also very demonstrative, which set a loving example. 

The men in my family have hugged for generations comfortably, and the young men continue with their friends. I'm happy to see they do not feel a stigma attached to it.

We all hug when first acknowledging each other and when leaving and we hold hands as well, when we are together.

I do not hug strangers, nor do I wish for them to hug me and keep my business relationships business.  I try to respect the space of others, and don't like my space invaded without giving permission.

I do offer my hand to all individuals instead of holding onto the old etiquette for women, as many today may not understand withholding my hand and consider it a slight. I'd rather have them feel comfortable on an introduction and handshakes are a connection of sorts. I'm a total a germaphobe so, I carry alcohol pads and wipes every where.

I don't know anyone personally, (thankfully) from any socio-economic class who air kisses.  Though I'm totally aware of its existence.

To each his own and their comfort level. 

@silentgirl

Do you have an autoimmune disease?  Because for those of us who do, catching even a cold can send us to the hospital with pneumonia.

And FYI, alcohol wipes and the like are not the protection that not shaking hands is.  In fact, they may do very little.

Esteemed Contributor

My SO and his brothers, all in their 70-80s, meet once a year and shake hands.  To me it is heartbreaking!

The first time my grandson hugged him goodby and said, "Love ya, man!" his face revealed that it had never been done to him before!  Unbelievable!  SAD.

Honored Contributor

Traditionally, women have been taught not to make anyone feel uncomfortable.  That was our job.

Now we are rightly told that's all wrong.  For example, if you go to get into an elevator and a man makes you feel uncomfortable, GET OUT of there.  Trust your instincts.

It's not our job to shake someone's hand so we don't make them feel uncomfortable. 

Respected Contributor

@willdob3

i'm talking about men who are perfect strangers and meeting for the first time hugging. not a strange question at all.