Honored Contributor

My brother died in Viet Nam in 1968. I remember going with my parents & my SIL & the funeral director to the Air Force base to meet the plane bringing in his body. I thought , Wow there are certainly a lot of civilians here & a lot of hearses. They opened the rear of the plane and OMG - it was completely filled with flag draped coffins.There was a set of dogtags lying on top of each coffin to ID the occupant. Anyone who thinks Memorial Day is a holiday celebrating America - that is not what it is about.

Our country is currently at war, we have been since Sept 11, 2001. The very best of our young men & women are coming home every day as my brother did. Our country is at war - yet everyone here just goes along living their lives - complaining about paying taxes, disrespecting the flag , disrespecting those who run our country etc etc. It would be awfully nice if we could stand together - as a country united - the way the greatest generation did in WWll - and give our military the backing they need to go and win this war. 

Honored Contributor

Deepest condolences to you, 151949, on what must be a very significant and heart-filled day for you.  Thank you for this reminder.

Super Contributor

What a difficult trip to make this must have been.

Trusted Contributor

@151949.  Thank you for your post.   Sadly you are so correct.  The men in our family since Viet Nam have all returned home.   The memories of the loss of their friends still haunts them.  Our career man just retired after 20+ years and 6 tours in Irag and Afghanistan and my grandson  was injured in Irag.   They talk only to those who have been there.   Their memories will never die.  We are counting our blessings this weekend and remembering the service of those gone.  

For those who have a parade close by please go and show your respect   Teach the youngsters why we have Memorial Day.

Respected Contributor

i agree with you. i have high respect for all men and woman that risk there lives for our country.

Honored Contributor

Image result for memorial day tributes images

Respected Contributor

for many of us who lost dear ones on the battlefield, this is a poignant weekend. i always try to watch the wreath laying at Arlington - and always shed my tears.  God bless all who have protected us.

Honored Contributor

It breaks my heart when I hear or read someone say we should cut spending on the military so they could have their taxes cut. What on earth are they thinking?How on earth could anyone think we can send our very very best young men & women over there to fight and not give them the best of everything possible to protect them?

Respected Contributor

I agree with your sentiment .... we no longer have "picnics," but go to the cemetery with flower arrangements to honor those who fought, and remember our departed relatives.  It is a solemn occasion.   I thank your brother for his service to our nation.

Super Contributor

I so agree with you, I also serrved and during the Viet Nam era.  I absolutely cringe when I hear people wish each other a "Happy Memorial Day" .    Thats not what Memorial Day is about,  It used to be called Remembance Day,  They should remember,  but you cann't make people remember,  especially those who never lost someone in war...   God Bless all Our Vets.  But, for me the Vietman Vets, who never got the welcome home as heros that all other Veterans did. A honest, truly blessed,  and long over due, Thank You for your service.  I remember......