Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

The local VFW put out a call for volunteers to place flags on the graves of veterans at various cemeteries.  I helped them with this remembrance.  All volunteers were invited to a "communal picnic" at the VFW lodge on May 30th.  Would it be appropriate to attend this gathering?   

@deepwaterdotter    They wouldn't have invited you if it wasn't appropriate.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

This is a thread about Memorial Day. Why are people bringing up politicians?

Nevermind, stupid question.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624    I should have added that the majority of young men come come from middle class and lower middle class, even poor.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1    The military offers young people who are not going to college a great opportunity to receive training and learn a skill.  I have never, however, seen any statistics on the annual income of their families, have you?  I don't know where that sort of information would come from since its not pertinent when one enlists.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   No, I have not seen incomes in writing,  However, it is purely a guess from me but I have a feeling I am right.  Of course, you have your college graduates who go in to be officers.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Kachina624    I should have added that the majority of young men come come from middle class and lower middle class, even poor.

@Katcat1  I'm not sure if these young men you are talking about are members of the VFW, are the deceased in the cemetery or the people in town who will put the flags on the graves. 

Respected Contributor

@Malcontent Thanks for this post!  My father was in the Marine Corp for 17 years and our family always went to our local VFW for a remebrance service.  It is still a tradition but it is bittersweet now as he passed from Parkinsons/pneumonia in 2018.  May we never forget the sacrifices made as those who laid down their lives for us all!

Trusted Contributor

DH is a USAF veteran who proudly served during Vietnam. Memorial Day is a day of special remembrance of those who served and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.. My father, grandfather, and brother served. I am so proud to have so many brave and selfless men in my family who were willing to fight for our country. I hope our community will once again have the parade to memorialize those who didn't come home that was discontinued during COVID. I think it is time to renew that tradition. 

Respected Contributor
Condolences on the death of your son. 🙏
My Husband served in Vietnam- combat soldier.
Trusted Contributor

@KKlim 

Thank You and Bless Your Husband.