Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 

Thank You and Bless You and Yours.

Respected Contributor

@Malcontent  You are so right. I think that many people do not have a clue. I cringe when people say "Happy Memorial Day".

What the?

Respected Contributor

What is left of my small family is getting together to honor those who served and have passed.

However, since we are all together we are planning a BBQ. My WW2 vet Dad would be here turning the steaks and manning the fire if he could be. He is terribly missed.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Memorial Day

[ Edited ]

For job reasons I was raised and lived all over.  Got my first passport at 2 months 😂

So I have seen a lot.  

Was locked down in Jeddah for the siege at Mecca.  That county only had religious courts and police.

Had a two week shutdown in Jakarta while the 'ahem' National Guard killed over 600 of the opposition in that city alone during an election.  That county did not have a civil police force.

Then there was that little bombing in Greece when I ran out of diapers for the kiddo.

Sometimes I just wanted to kiss the ground after exiting immigration.  We have those who have fought for what we have.  They are blessed.  Thank them one and all.

Respected Contributor

IMemorial Day by its very name is to memorialize, honor and remember those who gave their lives and those who serve for our freedom.   Many seem to forget the purpose of this day.  Yes, it is good for people to get together BBQ, etc. as long as the true meaning of the day is not forgotten.

Honored Contributor

Re: Memorial Day

[ Edited ]

Its both now and it has been for 50 years. . For some people, it is the official start of summer, a long weekend with picnics, cookouts, fairs etc.  For others, it's a day of remembrance for lost service men and women.  Some remember non military family members they have lost.  Our tradition is to decorate family graves on Sunday and then Memorial Day we celebrate summer.  There's no right or wrong.

Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain 

With all due respect:

I am on a Gold Star members site and in all the years I’ve been on there, not one person has ever said that they will party after their solemnity to their loved one.

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen someplace else, just not on this particular site.

It’s just one day out of the year for those not connected to the military.  Can’t “diversity” also mean showing a bit of respect…one day out of the year?

Be Well.

Trusted Contributor

I think it's usually referred to as the unofficial start to summer; however, you are correct.  It is and should be a national day of rememberence.

Honored Contributor

@Malcontent wrote:

@Sooner 

My youngest son died in Afghanistan.

I’m a bit sensitive over this.

@Malcontent   I am truly sorry for your loss.

My son served and is now 100% disabled. 

Our children are our hearts.

Memorial Day used to be a parade and my Dad marched proudly (WWII).  We waved our little flags and bought the poppies from the vets along the way.

While I can understand a cook out and all, the true meaning of the day should always come first.

For anyone to say that the meaning of Memorial Day and the issue of cook outs and the start vacations (it isn't even the first day of summer) all roll together-they do not understand.

Be well.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 

“Switch on summer from a slot machine” or…Memorial Day. (you understand what I’m saying)

Bless your child.

Thank You for understanding.