Honored Contributor

According to "unnamed sources" at OK! magazine, Prince Harry proposed to Meghan Markle on their recent trip to Botswana. He gave her his aunt Princess Margaret's heirloom ruby and diamond ring, with the Queen's blessing. Apparently the Queen sees a lot of similarities in her sister and her grandson - they are both not in line for the throne, and they are fun-loving and "cheeky" royals. The prince and Meghan have been dating about a year. Supposedly William and Kate urged him on!

IDK if this is true, but it's a good story.

One thing that I wonder about: IF this is true, Princess Margaret had her own children. Why wouldn't they, or one of their children, inherit her special ring? I know the crown jewels are probably at Queen Elizabeth's disposal to do what she wishes with them, but if my mother or grandmother had a special ring that meant a lot to her and that I saw a lot growing up, I would not be happy if my aunt or great-aunt gave it to someone in her immediate family! Smiley Wink 

Honored Contributor

This is great news and I do hope it is true.  I believe Andrew gave Fergie a ruby ring as well.   There are a lot of similarities from one generation another.

Best wishes to the Happy Couple.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Frankly, I think I would want my OWN, NEW ring, not some hand me down that I would never feel was really mine.  I hope they have a long and happy life together.  

And just as a side note between us, I always thought Harry looked more like the guy Diana was fooling around with, the Polo instructor, than Charles.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Frankly, I think I would want my OWN, NEW ring, not some hand me down that I would never feel was really mine.  I hope they have a long and happy life together.  

And just as a side note between us, I always thought Harry looked more like the guy Diana was fooling around with, the Polo instructor, than Charles.

Harry looks like the Spencer family!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I hope the story is true, too @beach-mom. 😊

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I have seen photos where they show how much Harry's hands look just like Charles' and Prince Philip's.  He is a Windsor/Spencer.

I have a maternal look to my face but a paternal side to my hands and fingers. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Okay, okay, I give.  But that other guy did have red hair.  And there was speculation at the time, of who the real father was.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@beach-mom, I hope this story is true: the world needs happy news!

...but honestly, I don't know that I would want the ring.....

Princess Margaret had to sacrifice her love for a very much wronged man, Group Captain Peter Townsend.

...her life beyond that was tragic....I hope that if this is real, they have the stone reset-and say private prayers together that they will always love each other.

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

According to "unnamed sources" at OK! magazine, Prince Harry proposed to Meghan Markle on their recent trip to Botswana. He gave her his aunt Princess Margaret's heirloom ruby and diamond ring, with the Queen's blessing. Apparently the Queen sees a lot of similarities in her sister and her grandson - they are both not in line for the throne, and they are fun-loving and "cheeky" royals. The prince and Meghan have been dating about a year. Supposedly William and Kate urged him on!

IDK if this is true, but it's a good story.

One thing that I wonder about: IF this is true, Princess Margaret had her own children. Why wouldn't they, or one of their children, inherit her special ring? I know the crown jewels are probably at Queen Elizabeth's disposal to do what she wishes with them, but if my mother or grandmother had a special ring that meant a lot to her and that I saw a lot growing up, I would not be happy if my aunt or great-aunt gave it to someone in her immediate family! Smiley Wink 

I'm pretty sure he isn't using his great Aunt Margaret's ring unless the Queen owns it now.  I know Camilla wears the Queen mother's ring, but that's different.  Charles was very close to his grandma.  If they are engaged, I hope he knows what she is in for.  I wouldn't marry into that family or "the Firm" for all the tea in China.  You are constantly being watched by the Queen's advisors.  Can you imagine making a misstep and getting a call or letter from one of them?  Sounds like prose to me. 

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Okay, okay, I give.  But that other guy did have red hair.  And there was speculation at the time, of who the real father was.

I remember that but I do believe the red headed boyfriend came after Harry's birth one or two years later. Woman Happy

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson