Respected Contributor

My husband picked up my Atorvastatin (generic Lipitor) on Friday - left it in the car for 6 hours with outside temperature around zero.  Pharmacist says no harm in taking it but may not be effective in doing what it's supposed to do.  I have an old bottle that expired in 12/18.  They told me the same thing about the expired medication.  So which do you think would be better to take/more likely to be as effective as usual?  I'm thinking the expired one.  It's unlikely that it would be bad the next month or a few months after the expiration date.  (My insurance won't pay for another bottle.)  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I am not a health care pro, but as far as I am concerned any med dated 12/18 is perfectly fine. I have had docs tell me those dates are just put on there because the law says they have to as a formality to protect the drug company, but the meds are perfectly fine for quite a bit longer.

Esteemed Contributor

Generics are usually really cheap.  Another option is to just get a refill and pay yourself.  Hanging my head - don't ask how I know.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Medication question

[ Edited ]

@Shelbelle wrote:

I am not a health care pro, but as far as I am concerned any med dated 12/18 is perfectly fine. I have had docs tell me those dates are just put on there because the law says they have to as a formality to protect the drug company, but the meds are perfectly fine for quite a bit longer.

@FranandZoe and  @Shelbelle ... my Dad was a physician.  He always told us that prescription meds were usually good for a few months after their expiration dates.  But I don't remember for how long.  

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoeI'd take my pharmacists' answers and use either med, probably both. 

First of all, the date on the expired med is most likely a sell by date, no?

Of course, what I don't know at all is how you'll know whether the "cold" med is effective.  Will there be a quick and recoverable effect?  Knowing that would affect my decision.  I just know I have gotten to old age here following advice from my medical professionals -  but I don't take Liptor.  I do take a sratin though, and I know I've used "expired'" and the vascular surgeon I see regularly has seen no change in the last 3 years.  That's my hurrah.

Esteemed Contributor

We get some prescriptions by mail and they are out there in all kinds of wearther.....

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma - you're right, if people work they could be sitting out there for more than 6 hours.

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

We get some prescriptions by mail and they are out there in all kinds of wearther.....

So correct, mine are delivered in extreme summer heat and extreme cold, had one delivered last week in way below freezing temps.

Regular Contributor

Personally, I never take statin drugs..I think they do more harm than good..personal experience

Honored Contributor

Re: Medication question

[ Edited ]

@FranandZoe  Most medications are good for a few years past their expiration date. I say most because there are always excepetions. 

If you don't feel comfortable with that, than understandably discard it and ask for a generic version (if cheaper) or a new refill. With the date that was mentioned, no issue. Also, as others have said, medications are delivered in trucks with NO AC or heat and they sit in them as well as docks/warehouses that also are not heated or cooled. Unless it states it MUST be stored at XYZ temp,  I wouldn't worry about it. : )