Occasional Contributor
Also, I know from family experience, some low income seniors pay no premiums for Medicare, no deductibles, no copays, ever. Some, frequent the doctor as a social visit, and demand every test under the sun, all paid for by us.
Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I think medicare and the post office ,are 2 of the most valuable assets, the taxpayer has

@cherry Amen.

Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare Part B premium

[ Edited ]

@jazzie3 Everyone pays for their Medicare.  There is no free ride. Some people with extremely low comes might get a low income subsidy to help and some also have Medicaid.

Maybe you are referring to a Medicare Advantage Plan.  Some of those plans are zero premiums plans.  You might not have to pay a monthly premium for them, but you must still pay the Medicare Part B premium each month from your Social Security.

Advantage Plans are available to everyone, regardless of your income.  Some Advantage Medicare Plans do charge a monthly premium in addition to the Medicare Part B premium.

Some Advantage Plans have deductibles and copays and some do not.

I don't understand the " paid by us"statement..who is us?

You might be interested to know that many members on this forum have a Medicare Advantage Plan that they pay zero monthly premiums for and they have no deductible or copayments.

Some could be low income and some could be high income...makes no difference.

Respected Contributor

Uh - I'm going to be 65 in April and am currently being deluged by ads showing up on FB, and postcards I've gotten in the mail (these are the worst bc in tiny itty bitty print it says that these are programs not associated with Medicare.gov (original Medicare), but supplemental and a number to call).

Every time I sit down to try to figure it all out my head begins to hurt!   I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going to do but will wait 3 months to thoroughly read the info. 

Honored Contributor

@Financialgrl , even though you're pretty sure what you want to do, don't wait to make your final decision.

Now is the time for free seminars to be starting up and they will go away in December when the open enrollment is over.  Go to one or two to have your questions answered.  They will give you the pros and cons of an Advantage Plan vs. a Supplement Plan.

Honored Contributor

I got Medicare Part B

Mutual of Omaha Plan F  (I'm grandfathered in they will drop plan in 2020)

Silver Script Drug plan 

Have to have a drug plan by the way or you will be penalized for the rest of your life. They don't care if you have a supplement, but, drug plan is not optional.

Honored Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Medicare Part B premium

[ Edited ]

@Financialgrl wrote:

Uh - I'm going to be 65 in April and am currently being deluged by ads showing up on FB, and postcards I've gotten in the mail (these are the worst bc in tiny itty bitty print it says that these are programs not associated with Medicare.gov (original Medicare), but supplemental and a number to call).

Every time I sit down to try to figure it all out my head begins to hurt!   I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going to do but will wait 3 months to thoroughly read the info. 

Please find an ad blocker for your devices. 

Here are a few resources.  KFF.ORG.The Medicare.gov site, it has the latest booklets. A site for Medicare partD.and.MAP.info Q1Medicare.com.

You may want see your insurance person.

Valued Contributor

I agree with you.  For myself I was paying $916 per month plus the amount I put into my HSA which I put in as $250 total $1,166 for myself.  Went on medi 8/1 now pay medi $135 and supplemental $90 prescriptin $14 total $239, I'm ahead $927 per month with a total deductible of less than $200 vs $3,500.  At the time I was shopping for mine we switched my husbands supplemental and saved another $100.  Total monthly savings $1,027.  Now I know why over the past few years I kept coming up a little short on my budget!  Feel as though I hit the lottery!

Occasional Contributor

HI! My name is Jennifer and I live in Washington, DC. This is a LONG post, sorry.

I turn 65 later this month.  My Medicare Part A & B started on September 1 (they say it starts on the first day of your birth month when you turn 65).  I am a nurse and very familiar with original Medicare, but the ads for the supplements drive me bonkers and they do start them early.  I am healthy and (knock on wood)  take no drugs.  I was very upset that I had to buy drug coverage within the first six months or I would be penalized --again I take no drugs. 

I found an insurance broker on YouTube who has won a lot of awards and she steered my to a Medicare supplement because you can take it anywhere in the USA and it is portable and no pre-authorizations required.  If your treating doctor takes Medicare assignment as payment in full then he has to also accept your supplemental insurance by law.  I studied all the different supplements and at first thought I wanted Part G because after the deductible is paid for Medicare Part B--Part G picks up the rest even Medicare excess charges in case a doctor does not take Medicare assignment.  But then I found out that Part G will have more and higher premium increases because Part F--which closes out December 31 is no longer open to new applicants.

I opted for Part N It is with AARP United Healthcare ( 30% less than Part G) and covers everything that Part G covers except for a $20.00 co-pay for an office visit to a doctor and a $50.00 co-pay if you go to the Emergency Room.  If you are admitted to the hospital then the $50.00 co-pay is waived.  I also will have to pay the Part B Deductible.  Then everything is covered so long as you go to a Medicare Provider who accepts full payment from Medicare. I do not get sick often and maybe see a doctor once or twice a year so  this worked for me.

Be careful with Medicare Advantage $0 premium plans--I looked at those too.  They keep taking away benefits (Silver Sneakers for one) and they are often not portable from out side your area.  If you get sick when you travel they may not cover you or require a pre-authorization before you can have a procedure done.  This can take time, not good if you are in pain or have a heart attack, etc.. If you do not travel much then Medicare Advantage plans are appealing. 

Also look at the history of rate increases and how many a year some policies have.

I was nervous, but my broker made it easy and I did not have to pay her --the insurance companies pay her so I had nothing to lose.

Also for those having a hard time trying to find a provider because they have closed their Medicare panels or they just do not participate---try going to a Nurse Practitioner.  They will spend more time on you and can do everything clinically that a Doctor can do. They can diagnose, treat and prescribe and will even do follow-ups.  We have a hard time here in Washington, DC as most the good doctors do not take Medicare assignment--they don't have to.  I use a Nurse Practitioner for that reason too.

I will be glad to help anyone who has a question or a hard time with this insurance topic .  Only the Federal government could make it so complex!  I, too, like many of you am greatful for the coverage with Medicare at a lower cost.  Many people feel they do not have insurance at all with the high deductibles. Medicare is a bargain!