Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I'm not surprised, it doesn't matter who runs health care as long as it's profit driven.

@blackhole99  How about it doesn't matter who runs health care as long as you have access to it?

Nobody MAKES anybody sign up for Medicare B.  It's an option...not a requirement.

Keepin' it real.
Valued Contributor

Check out Medicare.gov

Part A no cost

PartB 135.50 or higher depends on income.       See chart

supplement optional

part D prescription plan optional

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

I'm not surprised, it doesn't matter who runs health care as long as it's profit driven.

@blackhole99  How about it doesn't matter who runs health care as long as you have access to it?

Nobody MAKES anybody sign up for Medicare B.  It's an option...not a requirement.

@esmerelda Where in my post does it say anything about HAVING to sign up for Medicare part B? It doesn't matter if you have access to health care if you can't afford it or the insurance you can afford is ******.

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99  Your comment was in response to the cost of Medicare B going up.  And I pointed out that Medicare B isn't a requirement.

As far as affordability and quality of insurance are concerned...that would quickly get political, so I won't go there.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I don't see the rates for 2020 yet on the official Medicare website.  I don't think those rates are finalized yet.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

Medicare has been losing money for years.  There is no profit for this type of insurance.  It is a bargain.  There is no other insurance that can be purchased for so low a price.

I count my blessings and pray that it doesn't go belly up.

Respected Contributor

Re: Medicare Part B premium

[ Edited ]

eta

Sorry, I sorta got it backwards.  your premium cannot go up by more than your SS went up. And it only applies to about 70 % of people.

You must have been enrolled in Part B before 2017 with premiums deducted from your Social Security check.

Also, it does not apply to the higher income brackets.

Honored Contributor

@Hippiified   I am not sure where you got this incorrect information.  It is not true.  I have been following Medicare since 1988 for my job and this has not happened.  Would be nice, though.

In 1988, the premium for Part B was around $32 a month.

Valued Contributor

You may be thinking of the COLA cost of living increase in Social Security each year. This is not equal. Last years increase was about 2.7% but this year is projected to be about 1.6%. Medicare Part B increase projected to be about $8.80 a month for 2020.

Esteemed Contributor

The COLA increase will be announced on October 10th. It is estimated to be around 1.7%.