Honored Contributor

Medicare. I'm Officially Old :(

Today I spent 2  hours and 40 minutes at an Ins broker's office.  It wasn't as complicated as I thought it would be.  Came away with (and I'm sure I'll get my fair share of "ew, that's a horrible choice") United Healthcare.  I can change it.  I went with Plan G and AARP too.  She couldn't figure our prescription plan until I emailed her a list of our medications.  There was no health checkup.  No questioning of pre-existing medical problems because of when we signed up.  We did not do the Advantage plan.  She told me the difference.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Medicare. I'm Officially Old :(

Best of luck. We didn't go with an Advantage plan either.
My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@monicakm , I beat you to it, LOL.  I also have AARP United Healthcare Plan G. I want to have my future bases covered even though I'm quite healthy now.  I didn't even have to join AARP.  When my broker put my info in, it came up that I had an account with them even though I have never joined AARP.  Prescriptions, except things like infusions, fall under Plan D which can be changed every year during the open enrollment period.  

While some may disagree with your choice, they aren't in your shoes.  Plus, some people have different options than others depending on where they live and they might not understand that. There are some states where you can change your plan any time without undergoing underwriting.  My state doesn't have that option. 

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

Today I spent 2  hours and 40 minutes at an Ins broker's office.  It wasn't as complicated as I thought it would be.  Came away with (and I'm sure I'll get my fair share of "ew, that's a horrible choice") United Healthcare.  I can change it.  I went with Plan G and AARP too.  She couldn't figure our prescription plan until I emailed her a list of our medications.  There was no health checkup.  No questioning of pre-existing medical problems because of when we signed up.  We did not do the Advantage plan.  She told me the difference.  

@monicakm  I've been there! Last year was my beginning of Medicare. You picked a great plan. Mine is similar to yours, being Plan N (close to yours) with the United Healthcare part C. You did it! 💖

Honored Contributor

What I don't understand is how UHC and other insurance companies are involved in traditional Medicare.  But I am not really expecting an answer.  🥹

Welcome to the golden oldies club, @monicakm !

Trusted Contributor

I have government Medicare. What is United Health's plan if it's not Medicare advantage? I'll admit all this is confusing to me. But as a retired federal employee I opted to keep my previous employer's health insurance as the supplemental and Medicare as the primary. It's very expensive to do it this way but it's great coverage. I get prescription drug coverage through the supplemental.

Trusted Contributor

@monicakm @And welcome to the club!

Honored Contributor

@monicakm   You made  a wise choice.  Plan G is a good one.

You actually have (UHC) United Health Care, not AARP.  AARP is not an insurance company.  They do endorse UHC and they get kick backs for their trouble, plus they get your membership fees.

Welcome to the senior group. We are not old, just mellowed like fine wine and advanced.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

What I don't understand is how UHC and other insurance companies are involved in traditional Medicare.  But I am not really expecting an answer.  🥹

@tansy as a Supplement plan.  It picks up what Medicare doesn't pay, co-insurance.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

They aren't involved in traditional Medicare.  They just sell a supplemental plan to pickup coinsurance and deductibles that Medicare didn't pay, plus RX drugs if you choose to add that coverage.