Respected Contributor

Released today---1/3 of Medicare people who get CV are put into the hospital.  1/4 of those people die.

Thank goodness for Medicare.  Can you imagine life without it?  We would have to turn to our families for help.

Honored Contributor

where did you read these figures @KarenQVC ?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 CNN online.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

@sunshine45 CNN online.

One-third of Medicare recipients diagnosed with Covid had to be hospitalized, and more than a quarter of that group died, according to federal data released Monday.

The report, based on Medicare claims filed between January and mid-May, found that more than 325,000 beneficiaries were diagnosed with coronavirus and nearly 110,000 of them were hospitalized.

And 28% of those who were hospitalized died, according to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Almost the same share went home.

Coronavirus hospitalizations have cost Medicare $1.9 billion in its fee-for-service program, which pays providers for services rendered, or about $23,100 per patient, on average.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@KarenQVC   What the heck are you talking about?  Turn to our families for help?  People are hospitalized due to medical concerns.

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

@KarenQVC   What the heck are you talking about?  Turn to our families for help?  People are hospitalized due to medical concerns.

If people get sick and can't afford medical care, they look to family for help with daily needs and until they recover.

Honored Contributor

Medicare is the best thing that's happened to me in a long time.  I've been on it over a year.  

Medical coverage is 100 times better than my prior employer plan and copays are in my rear view mirror.

The total cost of Medicare, a supplemental policy, an RX policy, and vision/dental through my pension plan is $400 LESS per month than my prior employer medical plan.  And using GoodRX coupons saves me $145 in copays on 2 prescriptions.

Regular Contributor

If people get sick they go to the hospital for medical care NOT daily needs.

Esteemed Contributor

The flip side would be that 2/3 of Medicare receipts who are tested positive are not hospitalized.  That is good news.

Honored Contributor

I'm among the few who dread when I have to go on medicare. My husband's employer has the best health insurance I've ever seen, and we pay virtually nothing for it. We have no deductible and our copays are the lowest in the industry I've seen. Even our dental is killer good.