Trusted Contributor

A vast majority of the country has health insurance. Obviously many of the people who are sick would have Medicare. I guess people can be grateful they don't have to carry private insurance in later life but of course most need to supplement Medicare.

What I find odd is people thinking that if you don't have insurance that makes you more likely to get sick with covid. Taking care of yourself keeps you less likely to be hit hard by covid. In my experience, having insurance just manages to get you into the dangerous zone. My Dad has great insurance. He's at high risk for covid because his insurance has kept him around with diabetes, copd and a bypass. Insurance wont do anything if you ignore the stuff that's causing the problems.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I'm among the few who dread when I have to go on medicare. My husband's employer has the best health insurance I've ever seen, and we pay virtually nothing for it. We have no deductible and our copays are the lowest in the industry I've seen. Even our dental is killer good. 

That's how I felt @Mominohio about my husbands union health insurance. 

His 7 day hospital stay and gall bladder surgery cost us less than $100.  The reason he was there was so long was because he had a raging infection from the gall bladder itself.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I'm among the few who dread when I have to go on medicare. My husband's employer has the best health insurance I've ever seen, and we pay virtually nothing for it. We have no deductible and our copays are the lowest in the industry I've seen. Even our dental is killer good. 

You should look into your DH benefit package long before he retires. If he does not receive a free supplement plan, he maybe able to pay for his current plan in retirement. 

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

You should look into your DH benefit package long before he retires. If he does not receive a free supplement plan, he maybe able to pay for his current plan in retirement. 

@Nuttmeg 

Agreed, but he has at least two more contracts before he retires, so it's a waste of time to try to figure things out quite yet. The world of health insurance is so fluid and changing, I don't want to get it into my head what 'is' as it most likely won't be the same in another 10 years and two more contracts.

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

You are not allowed to keep or even pay into your employers health insurance if you are not working any longer if you are eligible for Medicare.

If you are working and are of Medicare age, you may be on an employers health insurance.  It depends on certain factors..as in the number of employees as to whether Medicare or your employees benefits are primary.

There may be a retiree package offered which would have to be a supplement or Medicare Advantage Plan.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

Released today---1/3 of Medicare people who get CV are put into the hospital.  1/4 of those people die.

Thank goodness for Medicare.  Can you imagine life without it?  We would have to turn to our families for help.

It's good for the hospitals, too.

Respected Contributor

My hospital loses $ on its Medicare patients.

That is why I am so willing to participate in research studies and the like.  Or generally help out any way I can.

Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare Being Used

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

Wow, you are very lucky.  

For me, Medicare offers 100 times the coverage of my employer plan.  The cost of Medicare, a supplemental policy, and a prescription policy is over $400 LESS per month than I paid for my employer plan.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

I feel very blessed when it comes to health care. My hubby retired on April 30, 2020. Medicare is our primary insurance and his previous plan is now our secondary and they pay the Medicare deductible and various other things. We researched this long and hard before we made our decision on health care

@Mominohio wrote:

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

We're also very pleased with Medicare. The whole thing is coordinated between the city of L.A. and Kaiser.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland