Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare B Question

[ Edited ]

@Hooty wrote:

@Pearlee, if you are not going to apply for SS until age 70, then you will have to pay out of pocket for medicare when you reach 65, they will send you a bill!

@Hooty  Huh?   I have already reached 65.  I went on Medicare at age 65.  I don't know what you mean "pay out of pocket" for medicare.  I'm entitled to medicare Part A - no cost.  I pay for part B quarterly and am reiumbursed for that from  my retirement medical plan. 

Folks - I'm doing fine with what I've chosen to do.  Concern yourselves with your situations, not mine.  My situation is I chose not to take Medicare benefits until age 70, but went on Medicare at age 65.  Works for me.  Do what works for you.

Honored Contributor

I have medicare and my other insurance.

I have part A&B medicare (hospital and office visits). my other insurance kicks in what medicare doesn't pay.

You do have to have I believe both parts A&B medicare or you will not be covered. 

Your health insurance will become "the supplemental health insurance " when needed.

you go to doctor. medicare picks up the 80% payment to doctor. The 20% left your health insurance thru your job will pick that  

payment.  100% is paid.

same with hospital.

medicare pays what ever charges are made if you have to go to hositpal or ER room, then your health insurance picks up the remainder of the bill.

Medicare is always #1 payer, then what ever you have left pays 2nd what is left over.  

If there is anything your health insurance does not pay, YOU WILL BE responsible for that bill payment.

Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare B Question

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee, Gee I am sorry, I must have misunderstood!

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@Pearlee, Gee I am sorry, I must have misunderstood!

@HootyNo worries. Smiley Happy  Thanks for your post.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I thought if you are still working and have ins thru your employer you are only required to sign up for part A when you turn 65. Then you can sign up for B & D or C when you do retire and no longer have ins.

@151949Yes, you are correct.  Why anyone would sign up for something they have to pay for when they get full health coverage from their employer is seriously mistaken over how this works.  

Honored Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I thought if you are still working and have ins thru your employer you are only required to sign up for part A when you turn 65. Then you can sign up for B & D or C when you do retire and no longer have ins.

@151949Yes, you are correct.  Why anyone would sign up for something they have to pay for when they get full health coverage from their employer is seriously mistaken over how this works.  

Thanks. I never understand why so many people on this board who have ins from their empolyer after they retire still sign up for B&D  and pay for that.Then they use their employer ins as a sort of supplement. If I could still have my employer's insurance I'd just use it.