Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare B Question

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

If you still have employer based insurance & your employer has atleast 20 employees your employer medical insurance is primary.Medicare would be secondary.

If your employer has less than 20 employees then Medicare is primary & your employer coverage is secondary.Either way you don’t need any other supplements.

You should speak to the benefits manager or representative in your office.I know that’s where my DH got all his questions answered.He opted to just get Part A & put off Part B until he retires.

You are 100% correct.  There is a ton of wrong information given out on this thread by others.

If the employer offers RX coverage and it is creditable, there is no reason to purchase a Medicare RX plan either.

Checking with your benefits manager at work is the best way to handle this.  No one else will be able to answer your questions correctly....not even the office for the aging or an insurance salesperson.

You need to find out if your employer is offering a Medicare Supplement or Primary insurance with Medicare  being secondary.  Once you know, you can proceed.

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@Pearlee, if you are not going to apply for SS until age 70, then you will have to pay out of pocket for medicare when you reach 65, they will send you a bill!

You can also sign up to have  money taken from your checking or savings account monthly.  If you do that, you will not get a bill.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  It doesn't matter what type of insurance you have prior to picking up Medicare.  

Everything is,okay.  You can relax

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

be sure that you sign up for part b because ifyou lose your insurance and then try to get part b, it will very costly.  you will pay a penalty of 1 1/2% for each month that you delay after 65..

my neighbor did this and when she lost her employer insurance, it was a very high price to get part b.  i think she waited for 4 years and it was  1 1/2 % increase compounded monthly.

What you are saying is only half true.  You will not be penalized for not picking up Part B when you turn 65 if you have insurance through your employer.  When that coverage ends, you must pick up Medicare Part B immediately or you will be penalized for each month  that you didn't.

if your neighbor waited four years after her employers insurance cancelled, she would owe the monthly penalty.  If she would have picked it up when her insurance cancelled, she would be paying the normal amount..currently $134 for most people.

Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

I have Mutual  of Omaha  Plan F Medicare supplement.

That one will only be available till 2020 then it's being phased out.

Mutual  of Omaha Plan G Medicare supplement is a tad cheaper,  but, they do not pay your 183 Medicare Part B deductible. Yes, they pick up 20% that Medicare Part B doesn't.   We have yet to pay anything .

I heard the Medicare Part B premium in 2019 will be going up to 135 a month. Not bad increase, though. We used to pay 1,000 a month for our  joint private insurance, so, we're pretty happy campers right now.

@SharkE   Keep an eye on your planF when 2020 comes.

Since the plan will be closed to new enrollees in 2020, those grandfathered in will be paying much more in premiums due to the closed enrollment.

Probably. My insurance man said he would just recommend Plan G.

Only difference is PlanG don't  pay your deductible. Right now it's

183.  I had  a colonopsy back in Sept (fine) and I never saw  a bill.

think the colonopsy (sp)? was 4,000 hard  to tell since I never got billed.

We got statements showing  what was turned in what they accepted,etc.

We never paid nothing.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie whew.....I was worried that 'Medi-Share' would not be recognized and therefore I would be penalized.  thank you!!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Carmie whew.....I was worried that 'Medi-Share' would not be recognized and therefore I would be penalized.  thank you!!

Medicare is a fresh start for everyone no matter what type of insurance they had in the past...or even no insurance.

Glad to have helped. You're welcome.

Honored Contributor

What we want to know (here we go) is how much can you make at age 70

and  not be subject to  that SS deducting from your SS .

I thought once you reach age 70 you can make all you want to and they don't penalize your SS.

We'll have to make aptt with local SS office next yr. He only wants to work

one day a week and one and a half the next week, but, if it will hurt his SS when he starts to draw next yr. then we'll have to rethink it.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie just want to say thank you again to you and others on these boards  that help me (and others) out with these questions...your knowledge and helpfullness  is very much appreciated.  Who knew medicare and supplements were so difficult to understand.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

What we want to know (here we go) is how much can you make at age 70

and  not be subject to  that SS deducting from your SS .

I thought once you reach age 70 you can make all you want to and they don't penalize your SS.

We'll have to make aptt with local SS office next yr. He only wants to work

one day a week and one and a half the next week, but, if it will hurt his SS when he starts to draw next yr. then we'll have to rethink it.

You will only be penalized by how much you can earn and receive SS between the age of 62 and full retirement age.  For me and my DH full retirement age is 66.  It depends on your birth year.

Full retirement age is not age 70.  At age 70 you must take your SS benefit and cannot delay it any further. 

If your DH will be 62  when he collects SS, he can make up to about $1400 + - a month with no penalty.