Valued Contributor

Medicare does pay 80%, but they pay only 80% of what they approve. If your doctor or hospital charges more than what they approve the doctor or hospital either takes a loss or you pay the difference. It's not 80% of whatever amount they want to charge. If they accept Medicare payments then they agree to the amount Medicare says they can charge. It's confusing, and the wait on the phone with any Government office is a lot of on hold time, and they like to keep transfering you from one person to another. I hate trying to deal with any Government office.

Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare B Question

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

Medicare pays 80%. They take the 134 out of your SS check monthly

If your still working (as my husband is) they will send out bills that covers 3 month periods. You pay for 3 months coverage 4 times a yr.

You don't have to have a supplement, period. If you don't want it.

YOU DO HAVE TO HAVE A DRUG PLAN, THOUGH ! Gov. makes you get a drug plan when you start paying for the Medicare Part B premium

If you don't get a drug plan, they penalize you. Drug plans are no biggie I pay 17 a month   for mine.

If you don't get a supplement then you pay 20% of all your medical bills and the Medicare Part B deductible which is now 183.00 then they pick up the other 80%.   If you don't have a supplement in place then Medicare will tell you what they will pay and what your on the hook for.

I'd ask at the place where you work, but, I didn't think you could have 2 insurances.

I have Mutual of Omaha supplement insurance and they pay my deductible and the other 20%. Not cheap, but, my husband is still working, so, we're able to afford it.

Good luck !

@SharkE  Not necessarily.  I have chosen not to take SS benefits yet, but I am over 65 and have Medicare.  So nothing is taken out of a SS check that I don't get, since I plan not to take my SS benefits until age 70 when I'll get 8% more than I would have at age 65.  So I pay for my Part B.  

Honored Contributor

Read paragraph 2 where I said my husband is not on SS so he pays 4 times a yr for 3 month inclements.  He is doing what your doing retiring at 70.

I'M THE ONE WHO IS ON SS AND I PAY FOR IT MONTHLY OUT OF MY CHECK

@Pearlee

Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare B Question

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

Read paragraph 2 where I said my husband is not on SS so he pays 4 times a yr for 3 month inclements.  He is doing what your doing retiring at 70.

I'M THE ONE WHO IS ON SS AND I PAY FOR IT MONTHLY OUT OF MY CHECK

@Pearlee

@SharkE  I'm not retiring at 70. I'm already retired from the retirement system I worked under which wasn't SS, although I am still entitled to get some  SS from other jobs I've worked.  I'm choosing not to collect my SS benefits until age 70.  

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee, if you are not going to apply for SS until age 70, then you will have to pay out of pocket for medicare when you reach 65, they will send you a bill!

Regular Contributor

You DONOT have to have Part D, drug plan. It is NOT mandatory My suggestion, get accurate information & call medicare: 1-800-633-4227)

Respected Contributor

@cuddlesmama  I don't understand.  If you're still working and fully covered by your employer's insurance, why are you even signing up for Medicare?  I'm 69 and still working full time, but I work for a large organization and am still fully covered by their Medical Mutual plan.  Whenever I actually leave my employment, then I will have to sign up for Medicare within a short period of time (I think it's 60 days).  It's cheaper for me to pay my employer's low premiums than to move into Medicare now, and MM pays 90%, rather than 80%.

Laura loves cats!
Regular Contributor

Pearley, your information is not accurate for everyone. Medicare takes out a different amount depending on when you became eligible for Medicare. Part D is not mandatory and yes, you do get penalized if you don't sign up for it. But not everyone pays $17/month. It depends on other factors.

Please consult Medicare for accurate information

1-800-633-4227

Respected Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@cuddlesmama  I don't understand.  If you're still working and fully covered by your employer's insurance, why are you even signing up for Medicare?  I'm 69 and still working full time, but I work for a large organization and am still fully covered by their Medical Mutual plan.  Whenever I actually leave my employment, then I will have to sign up for Medicare within a short period of time (I think it's 60 days).  It's cheaper for me to pay my employer's low premiums than to move into Medicare now, and MM pays 90%, rather than 80%.

I just retired

Honored Contributor

The best place to find out your answer would be to contact your (previous) employer.

It sounds like you’re saying that your employer is telling you that you need to have Medicare A & B along with a Medicare supplemental policy to keep your employer health insurance.  While I've not dealt with this personally, everyone else I know that has retired with employer health insurance has that employer insurance as their Medicare supplemental policy.  In some cases, the employer will pay for a supplemental policy instead of offering their own.  I’ve also heard of some individuals having multiple employer polices, although these are becoming more rare.  But I’ve never heard of anyone having Medicare, a private supplemental Medicare policy and employer health insurance.

Whatever the case, you need to find out for sure quickly, because if you do need an additional policy, there is a time limit for automatic acceptance for Medicare supplemental policies.