Respected Contributor

Hello Ladies,

I just applied for Medicare B and just got my card in the mail. I am still keeping my insurance from my job.But I am very confused about the Medicare  supplementary health plan. Does everyone have to get this  supplementary plan along with Medicare B? I know Medicare B will cost $134. I am trying to find out how much the supplemental will be but my  insurance says  you have to have both and if not I will lose health coverage and never proceeded to tell me what else does it cover  other than if you get sick  out of state. My Insurance is with GIC Unicare State Indeminity Plan.All of this is so confusing. I always thought you just get the Medicare (A free) and Medicare B and paid the premiums I never knew you had to buy additional? This is getting expensive!! Help!!

Respected Contributor

@cuddlesmama  contact your state's dept of aging or SHIIP to reach a case worker. Senior centers often have the  toll free /contact info or google. Helped me out greatly.

Honored Contributor

Medicare is the only health insurance I have, so I do have a supplement.

I think your Part B will pay 80%, maybe your employer insurance will pick up the 20% or part of it.    

Why do you need part B?

When I was working, all my co-workers signed up for A but not B because they still have employer insurance.  

Frequent Contributor

Sorry I don't know the answer but understand your confusion, what a total mess it has become.  I hope in the next few years before I am of age it gets cleaned up and simplified.  Maybe that would reduce the cost too, it has to be expensive to administer these programs and supplements in the state they are currently in.

Honored Contributor

I thought that you do not need a suppement IF you are still on your employers insurance.  I see no need to purchase a supplement if you are already paying for employer covered health care.  Can you not talk to someone at your work place?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare B Question

[ Edited ]

Medicare pays 80%. They take the 134 out of your SS check monthly

If your still working (as my husband is) they will send out bills that covers 3 month periods. You pay for 3 months coverage 4 times a yr.

You don't have to have a supplement, period. If you don't want it.

YOU DO HAVE TO HAVE A DRUG PLAN, THOUGH ! Gov. makes you get a drug plan when you start paying for the Medicare Part B premium

If you don't get a drug plan, they penalize you. Drug plans are no biggie I pay 17 a month   for mine.

If you don't get a supplement then you pay 20% of all your medical bills and the Medicare Part B deductible which is now 183.00 then they pick up the other 80%.   If you don't have a supplement in place then Medicare will tell you what they will pay and what your on the hook for.

I'd ask at the place where you work, but, I didn't think you could have 2 insurances.

I have Mutual of Omaha supplement insurance and they pay my deductible and the other 20%. Not cheap, but, my husband is still working, so, we're able to afford it.

Good luck !

Honored Contributor

I have Mutual  of Omaha  Plan F Medicare supplement.

That one will only be available till 2020 then it's being phased out.

Mutual  of Omaha Plan G Medicare supplement is a tad cheaper,  but, they do not pay your 183 Medicare Part B deductible. Yes, they pick up 20% that Medicare Part B doesn't.   We have yet to pay anything .

I heard the Medicare Part B premium in 2019 will be going up to 135 a month. Not bad increase, though. We used to pay 1,000 a month for our  joint private insurance, so, we're pretty happy campers right now.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Medicare B Question

[ Edited ]

If you still have employer based insurance & your employer has atleast 20 employees your employer medical insurance is primary.Medicare would be secondary.

If your employer has less than 20 employees then Medicare is primary & your employer coverage is secondary.Either way you don’t need any other supplements.

You should speak to the benefits manager or representative in your office.I know that’s where my DH got all his questions answered.He opted to just get Part A & put off Part B until he retires.

Trusted Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@cuddlesmama  contact your state's dept of aging or SHIIP to reach a case worker. Senior centers often have the  toll free /contact info or google. Helped me out greatly.

I have also heard this is the way to get unbiased help. As @maestra said, you will find the program through your state's dept of aging. May be called different things, depending on the state, e.g. SHIP, VICAP. 

Honored Contributor

Part A is free