Honored Contributor

The CDC has said the surgical masks are useless for the corona virus...the N95 is the one that will be most helpful and it is the one that is sold out most places now...or is only available on Amazon in huge quantities, thus jacking up the price. 

Honored Contributor
I know my son had to wear the N95 while hanging drywall one summer....he said it was so hot he couldn’t wear it very ing. I don’t even like to wear the surgical ones very long...very hard when it covers so much of your face.
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Supply and demand.  I had some facial surgery last week with extensive bandaging.  I joked that I'd just wear a mask since they're in vogue right now.  The nurses gave me a plastic bag filled with them.

Maybe QVC should sell them done in cute prints?

I don't kniw if anyone has mentioned this, but...

as long as they don't come from China. 

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

I bought theN95 masks on A.  They have been going up in price steadily for the last couple weeks 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Kachina624   My two sisters each had that surgery recently...my younger sister on her upper thigh and my older sister on the side of her nose at the bridge.

After surgery the surgical site looked awful, but now that it's healed, I can hardly notice.  

I pray that your feel feel better soon and that you heal nicely with little scaring after your second surgery.

@Carmie   Mine is also on my nose.  Had stutures removed today but must go back March 17 for the second part of a skin graft.  Glad to hear it turned out well for your sisters.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

After all the news plus social sites harping on the "mask issue", just for yucks I looked up my local Home Depot.  They are still listing them on their website but they are not available for delivery and my local Home Depot is out of all N95 masks.  In the event this impacts me personally we would stay at home and when one of us (not all three of us) would go out as seldom as possible.  Probably only outtings would be to Wal Mart to pick up pre ordered necessities.

@patbz    That would be my plan also.  little public contact, Walmart grocery pick-up which I routinely use anyway.  I'll buy a case of Campbell's Chunky Chicken Corn Chowder, my go-to quick meal, in case I get sick.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@dancingwoman wrote:

@Kachina624  Hope you are recovering from your surgery.  Take care...DW

@dancingwoman   I had  Basel cell carcinoma removed and I'm a real mess with lots of stitches and purple bruising.  I'm in self-imposed home confinement for several weeks.  Have more surgery in middle of March to fix it.

Thanks for all your well wishes.

@Kachina624 

Best wishes for a speedy and quick recovery! 

Thanks @Spurt .  I'm mending.

Respected Contributor

After hearing a CDC official say it's not a matter of IF the coronavirus comes to the U.S. but WHEN the virus comes, I started wondering if I should get a mask. I checked the websites for CVS, Walgreens, RiteAid, Walmart, Target. They're all sold out.

I checked Amazon and found 50 masks available for $34.99. But get this...shipping is a whopping $159.00!!!!!!! Smiley SurprisedSmiley SurprisedSmiley Surprised  

Esteemed Contributor
I was a nurse & throwing on a mask without proper hygiene education & the correct mask is useless. As someone mentioned N95 masks are air tight. If the mask gapes at the sides, there is no protection. I wore N95 masks at ground zero after 9/11 & something similar back in the days when TB was rampant. They are not comfortable but protect you from minute microscopic particulates. We also issued N95s to employees handling mail during the anthrax scare. As another poster pointed out, once the mask is moist from respiration it is not only useless but harmful as you are providing nice moist media to perpetuate the growth of bacteria/virus. Right now, the best way to protect yourself is good hygiene, hand washing & crowd avoidance. If a mask makes you feel more secure, purchase the right one and change it often.
Esteemed Contributor

Obviously, if you don't already have masks, you're not going to find them going forward.  I did just order a box of disposable gloves and a six pack of small hand sanitizers from Amazon (didn't look like prices were inflated).