Respected Contributor

In articles published today, studies are proving my personal opinion.

If people want to continue to fight for legalization, I say, have at it.  But, I like facts.

www.yahoonews.com/study-scant-evidence-medical-pot-helps-many-illnesses-154505977.html

Interesting!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Re: Medical marijuana studies

Interesting.  Thanks for sharing.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I know it's just anecdotal, but when my 76 year old mother was going through chemo for non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, the only thing that helped her appetite was smoking weed. It calmed her down and gave her a case of the munchies - something that the doctor's said was important.

She was just 5 feet tall and weighed 100 pounds at the most and they wanted her to continue eating and not lose weight.

It worked for her!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The article is a bit scattered. The title says, "Study: Scant evidence..." then goes on to say, "The strongest evidence is for chronic pain and muscle stiffness in multiple sclerosis, according to the review...". And then it says,' It's not a wonder drug but it certiainly has some potential." They're also quoting from an editorial which is obviously opinion. 

BTW one of the biggest hurdles to research approval was removed the other day. The Public Health Service review requirement has been omitted.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

Interesting that this information (from the same article) is being overlooked. As usual, it takes time for research to define the benefits and because of wonky laws in most states, research is behind.

Colorado, one of a few states where recreational marijuana use is legal, has pledged more than $8 million in state funds for several studies on the drug's potential medical benefits, including whether it can reduce veterans' symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder. That study may begin recruiting participants later this year, said Vandrey, one of that study's leaders.

Vandrey said there's a feeling of optimism in the research community that "we'll start to get a good science base" for the potential medical uses of marijuana.

The editorial by two Yale University psychiatrists suggests enthusiasm for medical marijuana has outpaced rigorous research and says widespread use should wait for better evidence. Federal and state governments should support and encourage such research, the editorial says.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

I know several people who have been helped with their PTSD with MM and a child who has had a dramatic reduction in seizures.

It's really too early imo to write off the benefits and I really think that personal bias sometimes gets in the way of research and in the prescribing of certain substances.
Respected Contributor

I am in 100% support of the TRUE medical use of marijuana. 

My mother had MS (one of the disorders actually thought to be helped by it) and have seen it effective in appetite stimulation in cancer and AIDS.  I would have GOTTEN it for her illegally if I had to if it had helped her.

I have seen documentaries on helping some children with epilepsy.  It it works, I support it.

I have seen behavior while under its influence that is dangerous and stupid.  So, I don't support general legalization.  But, that will be for legislation to decide.

Again, I have 100% support for true medical use.  It's where it veers off that I don't support it.

There are other articles reporting on it for anyone who wants to read different sources.

Hyacinth