Honored Contributor

So my mother passed away January 31, I still sometimes get medical bills for her. I live in the house she lived in, the bills are addressed to her not me. She had a supplemental insurance plan that covered her deductibles and co-pays. I got a bill from a doctor's office three times til it was finally figured out ( I called my mother's union they handled it). Anyway I get a bill from another doctor, I call the billing office, I am told because my name isn't on the bill they can't discuss it with me! I tell him my mother is deceased, doesn't matter. I'm not paying the bill if I don't know what it is for, I called the union they are looking into it. I felt like saying, good luck getting payment from my mother. I have had some people say to me, your not responsible for your mother's bills, others say if there is an estate you need to pay them. I'll pay the bill if I have too, but I would like to know what it is for.

Valued Contributor

Were you your mother's power of attorney?  

Honored Contributor

@D Kay wrote:

No my sister is.

Honored Contributor

After my father died, my mother kept getting med bills addressed to him.  My father was a retired FED employee & never saw med bills when living.

Anywho, my mother would get her favorite RED Sharpie & either write "DEAD return to sender" in all caps or "DECEASED" in all caps across the "unopened" envelopes & put them right back in the mailbox.  

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

You're not legally obligated to pay any bills,unless you agreed to cover them in writing.

When my mom died,bills we're constantly sent to her house & forwarded you me. I was told by an attorney that I should ignore them .I called each provider once to advise them of her insurance coverage. After that I tossed the bills.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@D Kay wrote:

No my sister is.

Then I would be sending everything to her to deal with.

It's also probably why they can't discuss it with you.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@D Kay wrote:

No my sister is.

In that case, forward it to her and the estate can settle it.

Honored Contributor

It is so important that everyone fill out a  HIPAA form with their insurance company giving someone permission to ask about their insurance and claims. The expiration date should not be at your death, but listed as indefinitely.

Unfortunally The HIPAA laws have made this a necessity.

My own father had a supplement that covered all of his Medicare deductibles and coinsurance, but after he passed, we received many bills.  My sister was about to pay them when I stopped her.

Some of the doctor offices were paid in full, but some bills were paid by Medicare, but were never submitted to his supplemental coverage.  I had to call the doctor offices and give them the supplement info and tell the ones that were paid to stop billing us.

Mostly claims will be transferred from Medicare to the supplemental plan automactly, but sometimes they are not.

I would never pay a bill unless I was sure it is owed.  You should be able to check the EOMB from Medicare and the they EOB from the supplemental to see what was paid and if the patient has a balance due.

Also, medical providers have 12 months to submit a claim, if they do not bill insurance timely, they can't bill the patient.  Sometimes they do not have the patient's medical insurance info, especially if they came to the hospital to see the patient, or never met the patient..maybe a doctor who looked at the bloodwork or X-ray.

If I were the OP, I would send back the billing statement with a note on it to bill the insurance company and give them the insurance info.  The ball is then in their court to prove they did and show the denial or payment and if there is a balance owed.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@D Kay wrote:

No my sister is.

A Power of Attorney handles matters while the person is still living. An executor (also called Personal Representative) handles matters after the death. The executor is responsible for handling any bills or other matters.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

Those bills need to be given to your sister.