Esteemed Contributor

@I am appleblossom wrote:

Why are maxi dresses so popular? I always have heard that the length of the dresses could be related to our country's financial situation.  Could there be a coorelation between the maxi dresses and our financial situation?

I think our financial situation is all because of the corona. 

I don't wear dresses. I use to. Just think I look better in slacks/capris. 

Honored Contributor

@I am appleblossom -

Yes, there is!

I learned that in our theater costuming class.

Everytime there was a depression or war times, dresses would get longer.

It really was all so interesting!

The sewing the costumes not so much! 😜

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@LolaMontez wrote:

Our financial situation was great until the CV hit.  It seems impossible to find a lightweight pretty summer dress in a cotton or other cool fabric that's not either up to your who-ha or down to your ankles.  Everything today seems to be knits, knits, knits and t-shirts.  Ugh.

I live in hot, humid Central Florida and I can't even stand to wear t-shirts.  Way too hot.  Like weariing a blanket.  I don't know how people stand them.

@LolaMontez 

I live in hot, humid southeast Louisiana and wear t-shirts comfortably all summer long. The key is to buy 100% Pima cotton tees.  I just ordered another one from Lands End. They currently have 40% off with free shipping.  My shirt Was $13.77 before sales tax. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Last summer, when it was so hot, I took a pair of scissors and cut off most of my summer maxi dresses. I didn't even bother to hem them...LOL!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@LolaMontez wrote:

Our financial situation was great until the CV hit.  It seems impossible to find a lightweight pretty summer dress in a cotton or other cool fabric that's not either up to your who-ha or down to your ankles.  Everything today seems to be knits, knits, knits and t-shirts.  Ugh.

I live in hot, humid Central Florida and I can't even stand to wear t-shirts.  Way too hot.  Like weariing a blanket.  I don't know how people stand them.

@LolaMontez 

I live in a hot climate too...Texas, so I understand what you're saying....

...It seems QVC is geared for one climate only the Northeast...those of us that live in the South and Southwest, and West seem to be ignored when it comes to QVC's clothing lines for the hot summer months, and Im so tired of hearing talks of layering, and jackets and sweaters you can wear year round....NOT US!!!! ...And with retailers, offices, and businesses encouraged to practice energy conservation in the summer, the A/C is not very cold at all anymore....It would nice if QVC offered a bit more variety....

Although its in the upper 50's here for the high right now,  its supposed to be 90 in the next couple of days....I certainly dont want to wear extra material that a maxi dress offers....And Im petite which makes it look like Im playing dress up even in petite sizes.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@lovescats 

That's my issue with long dresses ..  can you imagine what you'd pick up walking around NYC streets, puddles, up and down subway steps.   

Even palazzo pants - I use bicycle pants clips on mine while on the street.  

@lovescats wrote:

I've seen young women wearing maxi dresses at walmart in the summer that cover their shoes and it looks like they are wiping up the floor.  I just think of all the dirt and grime they are taking home by cleaning the floor.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@lovescats 

That's my issue with long dresses ..  can you imagine what you'd pick up walking around NYC streets, puddles, up and down subway steps.   

Even palazzo pants - I use bicycle pants clips on mine while on the street.  

@lovescats wrote:

I've seen young women wearing maxi dresses at walmart in the summer that cover their shoes and it looks like they are wiping up the floor.  I just think of all the dirt and grime they are taking home by cleaning the floor.

I never wear sandals or any other kind of open-toe shoes because of that. I get home and take off my shoes before I come inside. If I was wearing sandals then I would have to wash my feet...!

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Can't speak to the fabric or comfort of the TSV, but I think the navy set is beautiful. If I were young, and built for that style, I'd love to wear maxi dresses.

@AuntG I like the navy set too...I ordered it in the petite today.  I like wearing maxi dresses in the summer....I'm not a shorts wearer and I don't like jeans on hot summer days....for me dresses are cool and comfy.   I'm not crazy about my upper arms, so if I'm going somewhere I throw a linen jacket over the tank styles....still cool, and arms are covered.  

I'm not young, either!