Honored Contributor

@In-x-s -I actually was really thinking this just this morning!

But I don't know that I'd have the nerve to wear it!

Still, they could work, right?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@wakefield64 wrote:

CDC is recommending that we wear masks. Can anyone tell me where I can get one? They are on backorder on Amazon and CVS etc. do not have them? I went grocery shopping for essentials today and would say half of the people were wearing them. I live in the Northeast and want to stay safe.

Masks are not for keeping you safe. They're for keeping the people around you safe. If you're an asymptomatic carrier, a mask will help prevent your germs from reaching people around you when you're out.

So that bandanna or cute number you're getting on etsy won't protect you. It's important to remember this because if you do, you'll be more likely to keep the need for social distancing top of mind.

YES. Thank you for saying this. It's critical information and I don't want a mask to give anyone a false sense of security.

And when you wear one, remember to avoid touching your face, remove the mask and put it in the washing machine or warm soapy water as soon as you are home safe, and then wash your hands and face.

Respected Contributor

Those homemade masks are worthless...just keep your distance from others, wear gloves, keep your hands away from your face, use handwipes-sanitizer when out, wash your hands & clean surfaces at home...and for crying out loud, DON'T throw your disposable gloves & masks in grocery carts or on the ground.

Honored Contributor

@In-x-s wrote:

I'm thinking an Always Maxi Pad (the kind with wings) might work Smiley LOL

Well at least you'd make people laugh!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne @wakefield64 

ldproducts dot com has a limit of 2 boxes disposable medical masks...if they still have them.

Order by 4 today for same-day ship.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Finally, a few masks I ordered from Etsy, arrived a few minutes ago.  They're washing in the washing machine right now.

Now I know these homemade masks aren't really going to do much, but at least people won't stare at me with disapproval for not wearing one.

I DID order some disposable masks on Amazon  today but they won't be here till the 29th. They're not even going to be in stock till the 16th.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

i am not wearing one, but i dropped off some clothing at the dry cleaners today. they are making them and selling them for $15. i bought two.....for my mom.

i have seen people using scarves instead of masks.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Those homemade masks are worthless...just keep your distance from others, wear gloves, keep your hands away from your face, use handwipes-sanitizer when out, wash your hands & clean surfaces at home...and for crying out loud, DON'T throw your disposable gloves & masks in grocery carts or on the ground.

#truth

the parking lots and streets are pretty quiet, but NOW i am seeing plastic gloves strewn all over the place!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@Financialgrl :  I made three of the no sew bandana version but I inserted a folded coffee filter inside each one and I used a running hand stitch to stabilize the filter so it doesn't shift position.  I wore one of my masks to WM yesterday;  it was a bit warm but worked like a charm.  Bought DH and my son each a wind break snood from Big Five (covers from the neck up to eyes (DH says its comfortable).

@patbz 

The homemade masks are supposed to be washed in hot water after every use. So be sure to rip out that stitching and remove the coffee filter before you wash your mask. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

@kitcat51 

Not worthless in terms of protecting others from your own breath, which could be carrying the virus before you have any symptoms.  We’re asked to wear the masks to protect each other, not ourselves.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett