Valued Contributor

Re: Marissa Alexander will be released in January. Stand your ground Florida case update

On 11/24/2014 Sushismom said:

Georgie goes free and she goes to jail. What's wrong with that picture?

this was due to florida statute 775.087 (10-20-life) sentence add on.

the gz case helped to bring awareness to this case. had it not been for his case, not many would have even known her name or story.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Honored Contributor

Re: Marissa Alexander will be released in January. Stand your ground Florida case update

On 11/25/2014 Dam Yankee said:
On 11/25/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:
On 11/24/2014 Dam Yankee said:

They both have joint custody. Ms. Alexander is not completely off the hook. She has another sentencing hearing on 1/27. It's all in the article linked in the OP.

{#emotions_dlg.angry}

Whatcha mean-facing at me for? {#emotions_dlg.mellow}

Not "mean-facing" YOU, "mean-facing" the fact that she has another sentencing hearing.

Super Contributor

On 11/25/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:

Not "mean-facing" YOU, "mean-facing" the fact that she has another sentencing hearing.

I hope the upcoming sentence includes prohibiting her from owning a firearm, in the future. All other things aside, she did put the lives of her children in danger by firing her weapon indoors.

Super Contributor

Good news. She should never have gone to jail.
Respected Contributor

Great news.

And a good example of why you really need to know the law before you fire a gun. In legal terms it isn't as simple as picking it up and pulling the trigger.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Regular Contributor

On 11/24/2014 Linders Back said:
On 11/24/2014 Shorty2U said:

Now that is one person that never should have spent one day in jail!

Ditto both you and kalypso.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Thanks, Linders Back. Smile