Valued Contributor

Re: Mandatory Gift???

[ Edited ]

Could it be that they are planning on donating the gifts and will announce it at the party? Maybe to a shelter or some kind.

Respected Contributor

How in the world would anyone, let alone 50 people, know what kind of gift to purchase for a 60 year old?  

This just doesn't sound right to me and I am wondering if there was some kind of printing error.

Honored Contributor

Re: Mandatory Gift???

[ Edited ]

Sounds like an occasion when Poo-poui might be appropriate.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Snowhite714   It’s funny you mention that because I just received an invitation to a 65th birthday party. It’s quite a shindig in a catering hall with a DJ, bar & buffet.The bar will be open for the first hour & then it will turn into a cash bar for the remaining 3 hours.

The invitation asks for cash gifts only!! It goes on to suggest that an individual gift $60 & a couple gift $120!!

My son chuckled & said we should go & not give anything. Lol!! DH & I think this is very tacky.We won’t be going.I just got a text from a friend who told me she isn’t going either.

I think it’s rude to invite people to a party & expect them to pay for their own drinks & then ask for cash gifts. If you can’t afford the party then pare it down or don’t have it,period.

Coincidentally,my son & I are planning a surprise birthday party for DH this Summer.I just ordered the invitations.It says”No gifts please.Your friendship & attendance is “Al’s” gift”.

Esteemed Contributor

Gifts mandatory???  Okay, respond with either "I will gift you with my presence" or I will gift you by not attending" whichever suits your fancy at the moment.

Or a book on manners and etiquette from every attendee would be appropriate.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp  you read my mind about the book

Respected Contributor

Do you know this person who invited you? Call them & ask. This must be a mistake. If not, then I'd decline going myself.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Marp  you read my mind about the book

@cherry, I really should have amended my post with the disclaimer unless the gifts mandatory was due to a collection for Toys for Tots, a food drive  or similar but then it should have been mentioned in the invitation.

I'm also curious what happens if someone shows up without the mandatory gift.  Oh no, you can't come in?  Oh, no gift then there is a $pick a number cover charge?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I would donate to a worthy charity ,and send them a card letting them know what I did @Marp 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Sounds like an occasion when Poo-poui might be appropriate.

LOL!  Thanks for the laugh! Smiley Happy