Esteemed Contributor

Man Killed in Fallen Elevator

A 30 year-old man was crushed to death by an elevator in a high rise residential apartment building in Manhattan. The elevator was full, and when it stopped on the main floor, one man got out. Sadly, before the others could get out, the elevator malfunctioned and fell one floor to the basement. One man who also wanted to get out was crushed between the elevator car and the wall of the elevator shaft, and died immediately.

The video was published in the New York Post, the trashy newspaper that lives for outrageous news. Why did I watch the video, when it was labeled "graphic?" I feel so sick over this and I know this is going to live with me for a long time. The other survivors had to wait for the police and the NY Fire Department to get the dead passenger as well as the other passengers out. What a nightmare.

I just wish I hadn't watched it. Prayers for all the victims of the accident. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Man Killed in Fallen Elevator

@sunala - I live in NYC and have seen this story on the news several times. So sad and such a freak accident.  I'm glad I didn't see that video.  It seems the building management is negligent in it's maintenance of the elevators.  Did you see his dad interviewed on TV?  I felt so bad for that poor man losing his son like that.  May that young man rest in peace.

Respected Contributor

I didn't know there was a video.  I will avoid it.  thanks for the warning.  The Post is such a trashy rag.  My husband insists on buying it almost every day as it has such a big sports section.  

Esteemed Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@sunala - I live in NYC and have seen this story on the news several times. So sad and such a freak accident.  I'm glad I didn't see that video.  It seems the building management is negligent in it's maintenance of the elevators.  Did you see his dad interviewed on TV?  I felt so bad for that poor man losing his son like that.  May that young man rest in peace.

@twinsister- yes it was a freak accident but those two elevators were faulty from day one. There were so many complaints to the city listed, it's surprising something like this hadn't happened sooner.

No, I didn't see the dad in an interview. I don't think I could watch it. And I certainly will be more careful when I watch videos. I don't know what got into my mind to click on on "warning graphic video." Never again.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Very Sad.  Rest in peace.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I had read about that. How awful. Poor guy.

Esteemed Contributor

Not only do I feel bad for the guy who got crushed, but I also feel bad for the ones who saw him get crushed.

Can you imagine if you had been an eye witness to that horror?

I would need therapy.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I too saw the article and considering the elevators were problematical for years, I won't be surprised if there is a lawsuit submitted.  That was a horrendous accident that should never have happened.

As a Building Manager for fifteen years I spent many hours riding elevators.  When Warner Bros was having two new buildings constructed they rented 22 floors of a 28 floor Hi-rise in Burbank for the employees who would occupy them upon completion.  I rode the elevators in that building for 4 years and when we moved into the new buildings I rode elevators for another 11 years without a mishap.

Prior to working at Warner Bros I managed another Hi-rise in Sherman Oaks spending 2 years riding the elevators in that building.  All I can say is that I was very, very lucky to never have been stuck in an elevator.  Smiley Very Happy

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

The video I saw is on YouTube.   It's video from the lobby security camera.

Why would the building release the video?    So tragic.   That's no way to go.

Honored Contributor

I didn't understand how the man got crushed, but I think I'll pass on watching the video.