Esteemed Contributor

Today, I went to the mall to return an item to Macy's. I live in CO and went to Broomfield. This is a huge mall. The mall was nearly empty. I went into Christopher Banks and they were closing the store. The closest store to me would be Westminster,CO. This is where alot of the stores are relocating. JC Penney kept this store open in Westminster. I think it is an hour drive from my house. Where I live I only have a few stores around my area (i.e. Marshalls, Ross, Kohl's). If I want to go to a mall it is a 30 to 45 minute drive one way.

It is sad to see the retail market taking a nose dive. There is no coming back. I think online shopping is going to be the way of the future. Sad, because I do like to go to the malls and try on clothing and shoes.

Honored Contributor

Re: Malls --- A Dying Breed

[ Edited ]

They are remodeling two malls in the city where I live.  Both malls are going to be mixed use.  New movie theaters are planned for both.  Nordstrom Rack and Trader Joe's has opened in one of them with a new Whole Foods coming.  Not sure what else.  There is another mall in the next city (about 1/2 hour from me) that has Nordstrom and Macy's as the anchor stores and it is always busy and every store front is filled with stores like Talbots, Chico's, Black & White, Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma, Soft Surroundings, etc.  It is difficult to find a parking space there.  

Honored Contributor

I think you're right about the malls. We've had several well known stores close and replaced with stores/shops I've never heard of. Most close within a year. It's sad because I like to walk and browse and grab something to eat. Remember when most malls had cafeterias? 

Esteemed Contributor

Retailers did it to themselves. Including online etailers.

They hope you won't mind cheap, inferior junk at their stores.  Clerks and CS agents who could care less. Unpredictable delivery by Smartpost that saves them money but causes you headaches.

Now, innstead of "oooohhh, I want that", now it's "is the hassle worth it"?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Malls --- A Dying Breed

[ Edited ]

@elated   Look on you tube for dying Malls.  You will be amazed how many have already closed.   I had no idea, but it is very sad. The video's are really neat because they show the Malls in some cases back in the 70's and it is amazing the change.  I just read that Macey's is closing more stores.  I would put money that by the end of the year, Kmart and sears are gone.     

Honored Contributor

I think it depends on where you live. We have malls around here that are packed on weekends and you fight to get a parking space. The restaurants are packed too that are located in them.

My daughter told me that the Garden State Plaza Mall is so packed on weekends, you need to circle the parking lot sometimes for a half an hour.

I would hate to see malls become extinct. I gauged my recovery from a heart attack by slowly but surely being able to walk the entirety of the mall. I often see mall walkers when I am there. It's a good way to get out of the house during the winter. And as far as buying shoes, on-line shopping just doesn't cut it for me. I hate returning things.

Honored Contributor

There are quite a few malls near me that are losing their anchor stores. And you wonder what is going to happen. One mall had a Strawbridges (gone) and the other 3 anchor stores are Sears, Penney's and Macys. Not sure what will happen there.

Not there is one mall that is going strong and in fact is expanding, King of Prussia Mall. It has many high end stores. And there are many stores around the mall. It is one huge complex. Plus parking is tough, so they built a multi level parking garage. 

It is the exception to the rule.

Esteemed Contributor

Rolling Hills Mall closed in 2008 in Ohio.   Most beautiful fountain I have ever seen.  They tore it down this past year.   Has a wicked past.  Someone was stealing copper in there and got electrocuted and died.   Then someone hung themselves on the property, behind the Mall.  Then someone put a ad on Craiglist for a job.  Guy met him there and killed him. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I think it depends on where you live. We have malls around here that are packed on weekends and you fight to get a parking space. The restaurants are packed too that are located in them.

My daughter told me that the Garden State Plaza Mall is so packed on weekends, you need to circle the parking lot sometimes for a half an hour.

I would hate to see malls become extinct. I gauged my recovery from a heart attack by slowly but surely being able to walk the entirety of the mall. I often see mall walkers when I am there. It's a good way to get out of the house during the winter. And as far as buying shoes, on-line shopping just doesn't cut it for me. I hate returning things.

@Trinity11. Malls and stores in the area of Garden State Plaza are always busy. The malls in my area, a bit north, are busy and the dying one revamped. Higher end strip malls seem to be doing well here also.

Esteemed Contributor

But sometimes Malls reinvent themselves.  Case in point in today's news: one of the ten finalists for Amazon's new headquarters is Montgomery County Md , that is offering as part of its package converting (closed) White Flint Mall as Amazon's new campus.  If that happens ( and it very well may), what a great new use for a former Mall.