Honored Contributor

Re: Magazines only please

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I've never seen the magazine "Romantic Homes".  What are the elements present in a  romatically-decorated home?

@deepwaterdotter

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I never heard of that magazine but Romantic Homes would be of no interest to me.  Occationally, I pick up a House Beautiful but most of the ideas I get for my home come from Pinterest and Wayfair.  You can set up boards on Wayfair, I won't tell you how many boards I have but I prefer that to magazines because I can purchase things I see.  Most of my Wayfair boards are fantasies but I like that if do see something I love, I can buy it. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My home is not in any way or form romantic.  

Did you know for about $10./mo you can join a website called "texture" where dozens of the best-known magazines will be delivered to you digitally?   For a little more, you can get the weekly magazines like People and Newsweek.  This is a dream come true for magazine lovers. 

I like Architectural Digest for home stuff.   Also Country Living, Dwell, Do-it-yourself.  There are many. 

So true!  I get my magazines digitally....and then I forget to read them.

Trusted Contributor

J Town Girl call your credit card company and they should dispute the charges and if all else get a new card or debit card. Then they can't keep charging you.  I have never know of one that will not cancel.

Honored Contributor

My favorite magazine is Architectural Digest.  I also like Smithsonian and Coastal Living.  

Honored Contributor

I used to subscribe to "Southern Living" many years ago but they changed their format or something and I cancelled.  Now my husband takes a couple magazines of the weaponry category. 

I'll check out "Romantic Homes" next time at the store.

Nice thread @DowntonAbbey.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@J Town Girl wrote:

This is off-topic but have you ever tried to cancel a subscription when you decided you no longer wanted to receive the magazine?   They always tell you they will refund your money for any issues that are remaining on your subscription but good luck trying to get it.  

I used to be a magazine lover and subscribed to many.  However over the past year I just decided that I didn't need them any longer.  Most of them just expired and I did not renew them.   There was one that I somehow stupidly and inadvertently renewed and will end up receiving it bi-monthly until the year 2019.   I have sent them letter after letter...there is no phone number to reach them... telling them that I want to cancel my subscription and receive a refund for the remaining issues.  

They've completely ignored my letters and the magazine continues to come every two months.  At this stage I've just given up and will live with this magazine until the expiration date.   There is no way that I would ever deal with this magazine subscription  service again.

The only magazine, other than this unwanted one, that I will continue to subscribe to is Martha Stewart Living.    I just can't give that one up.  

@J Town Girl

Was that magazine you tried to cancel Good Housekeepin by any chance???  I got my aunt a gift subscription to Good Housekeeping, sadly she passed away and I tried to cancel the subscription and here it was a difficult situation already and they made it worse....I wrote them couldnt get it canceled and then they started bombarding me wanting me to renew.....I sent a complaint to the Better Business Bureau and they FINALLY canceled the darn magazine....and I was so mad I canceled my subscription too!!! 

No, this is a rather obscure magazine called Farm & Ranch Living.   Although I live in the suburbs and not on a farm, I enjoy reading about how families raise their children in the country.   My grandparents lived in the country and they always had chickens, just for the eggs, no slaughtering.  I have many fond memories of playing with those chickens.  

To this day I still have a soft spot for chickens.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Magazines only please

[ Edited ]

@DowntonAbbeynever heard of that magazine, love the shabby chic look,any imput on that type?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

I think romantic homes does havev some shabby chic decor and ideas.............if you are ever in a Barnes and Noble or Books A Million check it out and they may have a website............it is pretty homes on the inside.............showing decorating. I hope that answers your question.  As far as my flat being called romantic I guess I have a shabby chic look in a way that is more defined in Victorian. I have a real 1900 Victorian sofa.........the man that worked on my old car adding a new ceiling in my  car had his great grandmother's sofa for sale.  He remembers sitting on it with her when he was five and he took it down to the bare bones and redid the sofa taking out the springs and the color is taupe with tiny roses with leaves in pinkish rose and the tacking in the back is gorgeous at times I think I am sitting in a coffin. lol   But it is beautiful but not comfortable............so it matches my chair that I have and everything works around this victorian sofa...........

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

What I get from magazines is where to put things as in an issue of Romantic Homes I saw a nice linen towel like a finger tip towel and I ironed in and put in the the middle of my bathroom sink..........it just gave that sink an extra something and I got my tea pot out that is a rose pink and has a beautiful blue bird on it and I sat it on a another tea towel or finger tip towel and in it is my tooth paste and brush and a few other pretties..............I like it............so many things to add that personal touch............No one ever goes into my bathroom but I like it and since I brought in my son's gift of the bird bath I have one of  my gold votives sitting on that bird bath in the perfect spot I can turn on at night as it is flamless.  I want some hearts that open up that are metal on a ribbon that will go over my shower curtain rod.............I have no idea where to get them but I saw it in a magazine where the woman had decorated her bathroom...........