Esteemed Contributor

Real Simple hits the mark for everything for me.

Respected Contributor

This is off-topic but have you ever tried to cancel a subscription when you decided you no longer wanted to receive the magazine?   They always tell you they will refund your money for any issues that are remaining on your subscription but good luck trying to get it.  

I used to be a magazine lover and subscribed to many.  However over the past year I just decided that I didn't need them any longer.  Most of them just expired and I did not renew them.   There was one that I somehow stupidly and inadvertently renewed and will end up receiving it bi-monthly until the year 2019.   I have sent them letter after letter...there is no phone number to reach them... telling them that I want to cancel my subscription and receive a refund for the remaining issues.  

They've completely ignored my letters and the magazine continues to come every two months.  At this stage I've just given up and will live with this magazine until the expiration date.   There is no way that I would ever deal with this magazine subscription  service again.

The only magazine, other than this unwanted one, that I will continue to subscribe to is Martha Stewart Living.    I just can't give that one up.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624. Wow. I'm so old fashioned. I love sitting w/ my feet up, a cup of tea & a printed magazine...slowly turing the pages, dog earing corners of pages I'd like to come back to read over again.

I know many people read books and magazines online. I must be a very tactile person and enjoy the feel of the printed page.

Thanks for the info, though.

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

This is off-topic but have you ever tried to cancel a subscription when you decided you no longer wanted to receive the magazine?   They always tell you they will refund your money for any issues that are remaining on your subscription but good luck trying to get it.  

I used to be a magazine lover and subscribed to many.  However over the past year I just decided that I didn't need them any longer.  Most of them just expired and I did not renew them.   There was one that I somehow stupidly and inadvertently renewed and will end up receiving it bi-monthly until the year 2019.   I have sent them letter after letter...there is no phone number to reach them... telling them that I want to cancel my subscription and receive a refund for the remaining issues.  

They've completely ignored my letters and the magazine continues to come every two months.  At this stage I've just given up and will live with this magazine until the expiration date.   There is no way that I would ever deal with this magazine subscription  service again.

The only magazine, other than this unwanted one, that I will continue to subscribe to is Martha Stewart Living.    I just can't give that one up.  

@J Town Girl

Was that magazine you tried to cancel Good Housekeepin by any chance???  I got my aunt a gift subscription to Good Housekeeping, sadly she passed away and I tried to cancel the subscription and here it was a difficult situation already and they made it worse....I wrote them couldnt get it canceled and then they started bombarding me wanting me to renew.....I sent a complaint to the Better Business Bureau and they FINALLY canceled the darn magazine....and I was so mad I canceled my subscription too!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

If you're near a library, spend an afternoon there looking at current magazines or check out older issues for free.  

Honored Contributor

I have seen Romantic Home in Barnes & Noble its buried on the top row and hidden sometimes......it is more my style, but I will just occasionally purchase it, but dont have a subscription......

I hae also purchased another magazine I think it was Cottage Journal or Cottage Style very pricey and have only purchased the fall and Christmas issues....

I used to subscribe to a bunch of magazines---Family Circle, Woman's Day, Good Housekeeping, Country Living, Southern Living...........

but then their decorating styles became more modern and office like, their  recipes were unappetizing and mostly shrimp and things I didn't like, even their articles changed (Good Housekeeping used to have good ones on consumer topics but no more and cute decorating ideas for the holidays--- but these became mostly sticking branches in a vase, and Christmas decor had colors that looked more like an Easter banquet)  So I canceled all of them.....

.The only ones I subscribe to now are  Guideposts, Angels On Earth, and Sports Spectrum

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: Magazines only please

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@Kachina624. Wow. I'm so old fashioned. I love sitting w/ my feet up, a cup of tea & a printed magazine...slowly turing the pages, dog earing corners of pages I'd like to come back to read over again.

I know many people read books and magazines online. I must be a very tactile person and enjoy the feel of the printed page.

Thanks for the info, though.

@Shanus

I'm with you and all your reasons Shanus.....and printed mags are more portable and easier and lighter to carry than a tablet....Woman Very Happy

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I just recently took the time to browse through my local library benefits..& many current magazine issues are online @ no charge...I have already read MONEY & COSMO!  

Frequent Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My home is not in any way or form romantic.  

Did you know for about $10./mo you can join a website called "texture" where dozens of the best-known magazines will be delivered to you digitally?   For a little more, you can get the weekly magazines like People and Newsweek.  This is a dream come true for magazine lovers. 

I like Architectural Digest for home stuff.   Also Country Living, Dwell, Do-it-yourself.  There are many. 

I didn't know about this,

thanks @Kachina624!

Honored Contributor

My husband just wouldn't look right sitting in a house all decorated in pink and white and lace.

That said, I always say a clean house is sexy.Woman Tongue