Honored Contributor

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

[ Edited ]

I live in NYC and on the news they said the parade will be different, "reimagined". Somethings will be virtual, the Mayor said they are still trying to work things out, probably no crowds lining the streets. I seriously doubt there will be crowds in Time Square for New Year's Eve, people will have to watch the ball drop from their livingroom couch (like most of us already do).

Honored Contributor

Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

I can't imagine the logistics of doing a parade at all this year. 

I'd bet they would just run 'the best of' and leave it at that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The only parade I truly enjoy or watch is the Tournament of Roses, which they've already cancelled. As for these 'virtual' celebrations, they're ridiculous. I understand the desire not to cancel every blessed thing that brings some of us joy, but doing things half way might just prove to be worse than not doing them at all.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I like the idea of replaying a previous year's parade.  So many events have been cancelled this year.  I do not see how this parade could possibly be held under current circumstances.

Honored Contributor

I will miss the Thanksgiving day parade as I have watched it since I was a young girl.  It is tradition like watching Christmas Carol and other festive movies.  I don't know how they will do a virtual or whatever, but I am sad it won't be the parade I know and love.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  I love our small town parades, but don't usually watch the big ones. Doubt many parades will go on this year. Maybe they should just run Miracle on 34th St, or as someone else suggested, do the best of. As for the ball dropping, I could certainly do without the usual entertainers, "news" reporters, and drunken crowds wearing Depends. As we probably won't have the neighbors over this year we''ll probably turn in early. A sad end to a sad year.

Honored Contributor

Normally, New Year's Eve is no biggy.....a few of us gather to eat pizza, play cards with New Year's Rockin Eve on the TV in the background..... BUT, this year I dont care if its only a couple friends we are gonna PARTY HARDY and truly CELEBRATE when this year is OVER!!!---CANT WAIT! And pray that 2021 will be so much better!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well even way before the Pandemic the Thanksgiving Day Parade has turned into something totally different than it was....Instead of the Floats, Marching Bands, Gigantic Balloon Characters, and Santa Claus making an appearance its now focused more on mini Broadway productions and OVER PROMOTION of the network shows......Woman Frustrated  So I have lost interest for some time....But do look forward to Christmas movies!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

I have never missed watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade - although it is so drastically changed from what it once was, it still thrills me.

I knew this year it couldn't be done but I am truly saddened that a long-time tradition will not be possible.

For a number of years, I watched it in person and the wonderful feeling  of excitement was the kickoff to my holiday season.

It would be great if they showed clips of the past parades, when the bands and the floats were the main attraction (and Santa, of course).

Respected Contributor

Maybe they'll use photos from really old parades and clips from parades previously aired from over the years, edit them together and show the parade from the beginning when it first started.