Respected Contributor

Re: MALL rant... need to vent

I honestly don't see any connection between your mall supposedly being "overtaken" by gang activity and aggressive vendors????

There have always been aggressive vendors at the malls. One of the anchor department stores at a local mall used to have someone standing outside the doors with a perfume sprayer in hand. 

Nothing new in aggression, they're attempting to earn a salary and sell their products. A simple "no thank you" should suffice but if it doesn't then file a complaint with the mall office. They don't want shoppers leaving because of aggressive vendors. 

Honored Contributor

As for the OP's complaint about the mall vendor - say NO and keep walking. There is no reason to engage these people. JUST KEEP WALKING.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a similar situation at our mall but with a phone vendor.  They would yell at people as they walked by and continue yelling as they continued down the mall.  I dreaded going past them.  I filled out a complaint form at the mall management office.  They must have spoken to this particular vendor because the behavior stopped. 

Respected Contributor

@kdgn wrote:

I honestly don't see any connection between your mall supposedly being "overtaken" by gang activity and aggressive vendors????

There have always been aggressive vendors at the malls. One of the anchor department stores at a local mall used to have someone standing outside the doors with a perfume sprayer in hand. 

Nothing new in aggression, they're attempting to earn a salary and sell their products. A simple "no thank you" should suffice but if it doesn't then file a complaint with the mall office. They don't want shoppers leaving because of aggressive vendors.

I agree with you @kdgn.

I found the OP's post a bit confusing on a couple of issues.

She said:

*********************************************************************************

My actions were followed by him saying loudly lots of assumingly rude remarks.

The following day he shouted across the mall at me!  I turned and said "I told you NO!"

What is up with this aggressive behavior? It is as if our society's rules of politeness have flown out the window.  

Maybe this is indicative of the American way not applying here?

*************************************************************************************

What are "assumingly rude" remarks?

What "American way" is not applying?

There is nothing "un-American" about aggressive sales people.

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

I wouldn't respond at all.... but if they were persistent, in my personal space and harassing me, I'd whip out my phone, pretend to dial, and loudly say, "Officer, I'm being stalked and harassed.  I'm afraid for my safety.  Yes, I can take a picture."

Honored Contributor

I looked up the meaning of "assumingly" in my Webster's Collegiate Dictionary to better understand the OP's "rant".  I couldn't find an entry for the word.

Respected Contributor

I hate the mall.

It is really like an obstacle course sometimes with crazy sellers and customers.

Even the upscale malls are full of wackos now.Smiley Sad

It used to be relaxing to me but not anymore.

If I go I go very early.

Valued Contributor

Another possibility if the situation persists:  Contact a local TV station and report what is happening.  They might provide some coverage/investigation, which might help to resolve the issue.

I haven't shopped in a mall for several years.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

When we got married we built a home in a quiet rural neighborhood, but urban sprawl happened and after 25 nice quiet years there someone decided to build it up there. They built 2 large open shopping areas and a closed in mall. There were certainly not enough people in the neighborhood looking for work to staff these places so they put in bus lines from some very unsavory areas of the inner city to this newly established shopping area and it brought in not only workers but much crime , gangsters etc. Drugs, the whole horrible business. They totally ruined a very nice place to live. This was one of our reasons to sell our house there and wholly move to Florida. Thank goodness we did because the county bought tthe house next to ours and uses it as a halfway house for people who have severe mental illness and can't be cared for by their families at home, and our neighbors from there tell us it is very awful, screaming and noise all night. people standing around all the time in the streets smoking  up a storm constantly, cars parked all over the lawn so you can't even walk by. Police and paramedics there all the time.

@151949

Wow .... boy, what a good thing you dodged that bullet!  Yikes!    Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

I had a similar situation at our mall but with a phone vendor.  They would yell at people as they walked by and continue yelling as they continued down the mall.  I dreaded going past them.  I filled out a complaint form at the mall management office.  They must have spoken to this particular vendor because the behavior stopped. 

@cotton4me

I'd bet serious money that these kiosk vendors employ sales people on a commission-only basis, with no base pay.   If they don't sell, they don't eat.   Not excusing the bad behavior, but I bet this is what's going on there.