Frequent Contributor

Luminara Candles Misbehaving

[ Edited ]

Some of my luminara candles are turning on by themselves in remote control mode.  I have several candles throughout my house but only five of them are doing this.   All five are located in my family room.

The candles were set in remote control mode in July, 2015.  In mid-November, they began to randomly turn themselves on.  It happened occasionally in December, and in 2016, three times in January.  A few minutes ago, one turned on. 

I would love to know if anyone else is experiencing this.  What would cause this?

Respected Contributor

Re: Luminara Candles Misbehaving

I bought a couple of sets of the 4" pillars and they all did that when it remote control mode.  I didn't want to deal with returning them, so I just set them on timer mode and haven't had any problems.  When it first started happening I thought one of my cats was walking on the remote control....poor guy was innocent!

Frequent Contributor

Aw, poor kitty getting blamed.  Lol.  I liked your story, Buck-i-Nana.

Just curious, did you happen to have your candles located in the same room with your television?  The common denominator seems to be that the TV is on when the candles turn on.  I am not using the TV remotes at the time.  Sometimes the TV is paused with the DVR and other times, it is just on. 

Super Contributor

Mine do this whenever my husband uses the DVR/TV remote or his BOSE remote control.  I suspect some signal from a remote of some sort is doing it. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't heard of this issue.  You may get more responses if you posted on the home forum.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your responses.  I wondered if my TV/DVR remote would affect the candles and they don't seem to do anything to them.  It is interesting that this happened to someone else with your remote.  I also pointed my Bose remote at them and they did not turn on.  The thing is, they do not turn on every day when the TV is on, but maybe every five to ten days or so, but not at regular intervals.  At least I am not the only one experiencing this.  I could find no other discussion about it online.

After I posted last night, I realized this should have been in Home rather than Community Chat.  I'll pop on over there.  Thanks, everyone!

Respected Contributor

@Hetty - hmmm, yes, they are in the room with the TV.  Never gave that a thought!

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe a departed love one comes to visit & that is the way they show you that they are there ..... I truly believe this .. years ago the lamp in my bedroom would be off when I went to bed but, it would turn on during the night!!!!!!