Honored Contributor

Re: Luckily, I've Only Known Two People Like This

Reminds me of a woman who hit me up for money at the grocery store needing gas for her car.   It was easy to say NO to a woman with diamonds in her ears, on her fingers, on her wrists, carrying a $400+ Coach bag.  

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, I have known quite a few people and relatives who are manipulators. I feel badly for the people they take advantage of, but on the other hand I wonder why these people can't recognize that they are being manipulated. I had a coworker who was a master at manipulating other people to get the result she wanted, she felt like she was so much smarter than everyone else. I have a cousin like that too, she's been a manipulator since we were little kids. My elderly aunt is also a very skilled manipulator all her life, but she's so old now, we just put up with it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

If it bothers you so much, drop them as friends.

And friends wouldn't judge one another like this.

Did she buy the $8.00 spaghetti sauce?

Woman LOLWoman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Well, since you aren't the one buying her gifts, it's none of your concern.  It apears the "him" you referred to cares for her and is generous.  She's a lucky woman.

------

No, no...she's married and the gentleman is fifteen years younger and suffers PTSD @chrystaltree .  They have little in common except he's told her about the good financial position he is as the result of an inheritance. I know her husband feels bad, but she is at home and her 74 year old husband still works because of her reckless use of their money.

What difference does it make if she's married?  Men and women can be friends.  I also don't think it's anyone else's place to determine how much two people have "in common".  Or how much "in common" is needed in order to be friends.

If her husband feels she's spending recklessly, that's between the two of them.  This whole thing definitely sounds like a MYOB situation.

Valued Contributor

Yep, I know someone like this, too. I knew this woman 20 years ago when we worked together. She ran a tiny non-profit, and every time there was a fundraiser, she would get “mugged” and all the money that was raised would be”stolen,” or she would claim to be “robbed.’ She was basically a con woman and a drug addict. She added me on Facebook recently, and she’s started two, GoFundMe-type pages to raise money for herself. She has a never ending list of ailments which she claims have bankrupted her. She begs for money every day and has raised several thousand dollars for herself. I want to expose her, but I believe that the people who’ve been giving her money would probably rather attack me for accusing her of scamming them rather than admit that they were scammed. That’s what stupid people do these days.

Honored Contributor

It sounds pretty tacky to me. I would be embarrassed for her. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know anyone like this.  

Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Well, since you aren't the one buying her gifts, it's none of your concern.  It apears the "him" you referred to cares for her and is generous.  She's a lucky woman.

Lucky lady? Really, I wonder if you feel the same about the people she is using and manipulating due to her irresponsible behavior. Oh, why would you care? You have it all and then some, I forgot. It is people like you who claim to have a perfect life, that I know better than to believe. 

Whoa. Did her response deserve such personal attacks? We don't really know the whole story. Maybe she's been a good friend to him over the years and he wants to return the favor. We are only hearing one side of these stories.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I have sympathy for people who truly do have lack of funds, but have found in my life that usually the people who complain the most are the ones who have the most money!  It bugs me when people I know and are close to, spend foolishly on unecessary things and then expect those that are close to them to constantly help them out.  I used to fall for this all the time but now I do not.  

I have to be frugal -- not cheap --- in my own life.  I can't put my financial life in jeopardy for people who refuse to accept responsibility for their own financial wellbeing.  If someone has a genunine need and are trying their best, then that is another story entirely.  

I had someone who used to be close, was like that, irresponsible with her own money then came whining when in need--with time it drove us apart and there is no longer a relationship...!