Respected Contributor

Re: Looking For a Supplement Plan to Go With Part A And B

@gertrudecloset  Please reread what I posted about Plan F. I think what we said are the same. I don't need huge letters or colors.

This came directly from Medicare dot gov:

Note: Medigap plans sold to people new to Medicare can no longer cover the Part B deductible. Because of this, Plans C and F are no longer available to people new to Medicare on or after January 1, 2020. However, if you were eligible for Medicare before January 1, 2020, but not yet enrolled, you may be able to buy one of these plans that cover the Part B deductible (Plan C or F). If you already have or were covered by Plan C or F (or the Plan F high deductible version) before January 1, 2020, you can keep your plan.

Bottom line: To be able to buy Plan F a person had to be eligible for Medicare by January 1, 2020.

Honored Contributor

Re: Looking For a Supplement Plan to Go With Part A And B

The problem is that it is almost impossible to find any supplement after your six month enrollment period.  There is no guarantee that you can purchase a policy.

In addition, the price will be much higher and subject to underwriting....such as preexisting conditions and age.

This is an example, which is true.  A lady that I help, had a supplement that she could no longer afford.  It was AARP sponsored by United Health Care.  I tried to help her get something more affordable.

She had a plan that covered the Medicare excess fee...the difference between what Medicare allows and the doctor's charge.

In my state, providers are not allowed to bill the excess fee, so I wanted to downgrade her Supplement to Plan C.

I called the number on the back of her insurance card and explained what I wanted to do. The person on the phone said her AARP dues were not paid to date, and in order to get enrollment change info, they needed a payment first.

My friend didn't have the money, so I paid it via CC.  Then I was told that she could downgrade, but the cost would now be over $60 a month more because of her age.  No thanks.

I was shocked.  If you do not pick up a supplement when you're first eligible,you are up a creek without a paddle.

I have tried to help people who wanted to cancel their Advantage plan and go back to Traditional Medicare.  No problem.....but they could not purchase a supplement to go with it.

There are no insurance companies that will sell supplements in the area at any price after the initial enrollment period.  

To go without a supplement is playing with fire.  I know I wouldn't do it.  If it cost $60 more a month more to downgrade and that was many years ago, I can't begin to guess what it would cost a month to purchase a new policy now.  The fees go up every year and you never know if you will be turned down for coverage if you can find it because of Pre-X conditions or age.

Even if you are healthy anything can happen unexpectedly, accident or cancer for example which might cause you to be denied coverage.

This is too big of a risk IMO.