Valued Contributor

Looking For a Supplement Plan to Go With Part A And B

I was looking at Humana, says they offer plans to

help with co-pays and deductables. Would like your

input into different plans. Thanks In Advance

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Looking For a Supplement Plan to Go With Part A And B

Why do people keep coming here to ask for information that is specific to their own area?  You need to go to the Medicare.gov website and put your information in and weigh your options there.  That really is the best course of action for you @YouGoGirl1 .

I'm telling you this because responses you get might not be from people who live where you live or have your medical concerns.  This is all area specific.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Frequent Contributor

My suggestion is to call an insurance broker in your area.  I have one that I use every year.  I give them all my info - doctors, prescriptions and they find the best plan for me.  As a previous poster stated every area of the country is different and offers different plans.

Honored Contributor

In addition to what the previous posters have recommended, I would add that most plans that "help to pay with co-pays and deductibles" are Advantage plans.  Which are different from MediGap supplemental plans and are even more area-specific.

Esteemed Contributor

@YouGoGirl1 

The previous posters have all given you good advice.  There is no generalized best answer to your question.  What is best for you depends on your state and your medical conditions.  Even though Medicare is a federal program, the supplements and advantage plans vary by state.  I find that strange, but it is what it is.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@YouGoGirl1    I agree fully with the advice you got to look for information specific to your state, and as you do that I would add you need to make a good estimate of what you expect to need the supplement to cover during the year you are likely to have it.

I know we can't predict with a whole lot of accuracy what we will need, so do build in a measure for the unexpected and try to make certain you are buying as much as you most likely will need without paying for far more than you are likely to use.

Honored Contributor

@YouGoGirl1   In addition to what everyone else has already posted, you need to read/review your "Medicare & You 2023" booklet which is specific to your state.  Inside you will find all the plans that are specific to your State and/or County you live in.

If you live in N.J., not only are the plans "State" specific, quite a few are "County" specific as well.

proxy-image.jpg

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@YouGoGirl1 wrote:

@@

@YouGoGirl1 

The Humana website has a chart which says which plans will help with copays and/or deductibles. Go to their website , key into the seach Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance plans that help pay for copays or deductibles to see the chart.

Besides the chart, you can put in your zip code and see more details about their individual plans. You can also search google and put in Humana Explore Medicare Supplement Plans. This will take you to a link to the website page too. 

Afterwards, try doing the same thing with some other big insurance companies. 

Esteemed Contributor

@YouGoGirl1 wrote:

It will be less time consuming if you go straight to Medicare.gov rather than an individual insurance company's website.  Medicare.gov has them ALL for your area.  Just input area specific information and anything else they ask you to ~ to get your results. 

Medicare.gov should be the first and only place you will need to go for finding what you need.  You can even enroll in all of your plans on Medicare.gov.  Secure website.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Medicare supplements are standardised and do not depend on where you live.  Prices differ between different insurance companies for the same product.

With these supplemental policies, Medicare will always be primary.  Medicare does not pay everything at 100%.  

Supplements will pick up deductibles and coinsurance Medicare didn't pay.

Most of the supplements currently sold today to new members will not pay the Medicare part B deductible, but will pay the Medicare A inpatient deductible and the 20% Part B coinsurance.

Be sure to choose the plan you wish to have for your lifetime.  It is very complicated and expensive to change supplements.  It is easy to switch to an Advantage Plan, but next to impossible to switch back to a Supplement.

RX coverage must be purchased separately.  Do not pass up on this coverage .  You will be penalized with higher rates if you do. RX coverage can be changed every year during  the open enrollment period if you wish.

You didn't ask about Medicare Advantage plans....but I am letting you know that these plans are specific to your location and once you choose them you can go back to Traditional Medicare, but won't be able to purchase a supplement except for extreme cases. Choose wisely.

I would advise you to talk to a SHINE or SHIP volunteer in your state.  The service is free and worthwhile.