Esteemed Contributor

Re: Local Nordstrom is closing.

Our local Nordstrom is in a well-off area but has terrible buyers.  The clothes are targeted to no older than 25.  Very small selection for adult women who don't want their cracks hanging out or shredded jeans or crop tops or their bras hanging out...you know what I mean.  One problem is because they have zip, women shop online.  As a result, that type of clothes aren't selling in store so they don't carry it.  One of the sales women I work with was telling me if you ever see something online, let us order it for you so that it shows as something that will sell at this store.  Which in theory is wonderful; in reality, why would I shop online, then go to the store to have them order it.   I went to buy an Eileen Fisher shirt the other day.  The woman at the register was on the phone so fortunately someone had left a dressing room door open so I could try it on.  Liked it so went to the register.  Again, she was on the phone conducting personal business.  Setting up a bunch of appointments.  She wouldn't even look up at me.  A simple acknowledgement or a look with her finger up to say give me a minute, anything.  But nope, refused to even look up and acknowledge me.  She was faced my direction, leaning on her side of the counter, I was on mine.  I waited for a bit then left it there and turned around and walked away.  Yes, I could have gone to the other side of the store to try to find someone else, but I didn't.  I came home and ordered it.   

Honored Contributor

Nordstrom kind of lost me when the younger generation took over.  Many things changed including the clothing they carry.  I still shop there but not as much as I used to. 

Honored Contributor

We have a Nordstrom's literally acros the street from me.  I have never bought anything there and rarely even look at what they offer.  I walk through it on my way to the mall's fast food court--LOL!!

Their items seem too trendy for me and out of my price range so I wouldn't miss them if they closed, which given the location, is unlikely.

Now if Macy's or Marshall's closed, that would be a much different story for me.

BTW I also have a Nordstrom's Rack nearby and that store is a mess--crowded and disorganized but always crowded.

Honored Contributor

My Nordstrom Rack is a joke. When it first opened I found so many things. Now it's practically empty. We do have a regular Nordstrom store but it's not very close to where I live.

Respected Contributor

Nordstrom was the only place Tricare would authorize for mastectomy bras. Any other place is out of pocket.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

A newer Nordies near me got the axe, too.

Thank goodness I have another store in my area.

I really love Nordstrom.

dee

Honored Contributor

I am sad to see so many stores close their doors.  My lament is a familiar one here, but I  see this as something more than the weaker business folding.  There is a greater underlying threat to our economy and our way of life.

Honored Contributor

Could we be on the way to another Recession?  So many large retail/discount stores are closing stores.  I am so glad my Nordstrom is still going strong.  It is always busy but I do more and more shopping online with Nordstrom.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Could we be on the way to another Recession?  So many large retail/discount stores are closing stores.  I am so glad my Nordstrom is still going strong.  It is always busy but I do more and more shopping online with Nordstrom.  

It's more a change in shopping habits than a pending recession. Online sales keep growing, and growing fast. Department stores became too similar. Local business taxes keep rising. Lots of places are taxed based on the square footage of retail space and big stores get taxed a lot simply because they're big. Stores need a certain volume of sales to be able to afford to stay in business and getting that volume of sales is challenging with the competition these days.

The retail environment has always been a bit brutal and Darwinian, but in recent years even the fittest stores have had a hard time surviving. Cities/towns tend to tax businesses since the businesses, unlike the residents, have no voting power. Instead of raising property taxes on homeowners/voters they raise the business tax and ultimately drive the businesses away creating even a greater need to raise more taxes. If you're an Apple store doing $5,000+ per year per square foot, the taxes aren't really an issue. If you're a store operating on a lower profit margin with fewer sales (as most are) the tax burden can become unbearable. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman , another observation I would make is that people in the business community now dress in a much more casual attire than when I held a senior management position.    I always wore suits.  Not many do that anymore.  

I can remember my company sending me on a corporate executive development program for six weeks.  Back to school time where we wore casual dress.  I had to go shopping for casual clothes as most of my wardrobe was business.  LM