Respected Contributor

Anchorage, Alaska. They are an anchor store in big mall.  They Nordstrom Rack and online will be enough. What a surprise.

Respected Contributor

Re: Local Nordstrom is closing.

The Nordstrom store in Norfolk VA has closed too.  There is still a Nordstrom outlet in VA Beach.  I don't think the Norfolk store got much traffic.

Super Contributor

I fear this will happen to my local Nordstrom soon, too.  I’ve been a loyal customer since that store was built around 30 years ago.  While I was working I bought loads of things, including many designer fashions.  Now with a simpler life I just don’t need or buy as much, but Nordstrom is still my go to shop.  Now...here what’s crazy.  A few days ago I received a letter saying that since I don’t spend as much they are lowering my credit limit.   That is so counterproductive for them.  I have always paid in full and on time whenever I have a balance, so clearly I’m not a risk.  So they are, in effect, saying that should I feel like spending a few thousand in a given month, I wouldn’t be allowed to do so.  Doesn’t that seem goofy to you?  Sure doesn’t feel like an incentive to shop more, nor does it make me feel like I am valued as a customer.  I shared these thoughts with a customer service rep.  Btw...I wasnt asking to have the limit raised, I just wanted to express how counterproductive their decision seems to be.  They are asking for their own demise.

Respected Contributor

Companies never like when you pay in full! They want the interest in long, drawn out payments!

Department stores are on the way out. May keep a selct amount in busy urban areas.

Honored Contributor

@Twoaces wrote:

I fear this will happen to my local Nordstrom soon, too.  I’ve been a loyal customer since that store was built around 30 years ago.  While I was working I bought loads of things, including many designer fashions.  Now with a simpler life I just don’t need or buy as much, but Nordstrom is still my go to shop.  Now...here what’s crazy.  A few days ago I received a letter saying that since I don’t spend as much they are lowering my credit limit.   That is so counterproductive for them.  I have always paid in full and on time whenever I have a balance, so clearly I’m not a risk.  So they are, in effect, saying that should I feel like spending a few thousand in a given month, I wouldn’t be allowed to do so.  Doesn’t that seem goofy to you?  Sure doesn’t feel like an incentive to shop more, nor does it make me feel like I am valued as a customer.  I shared these thoughts with a customer service rep.  Btw...I wasnt asking to have the limit raised, I just wanted to express how counterproductive their decision seems to be.  They are asking for their own demise.

@Twoaces 

It isn’t goofy or counterproductive for them.  Your credit limit is a liability they have to carry on their books—whether you use the full amount or not.  And since you pay your balance in full, they are not making any interest money on you.  You aren’t using the limit they’ve given you, so they figure that it won’t impede your buying.  By lowering your credit limit, it lowers their liability.  Makes their finances look better.

Companies periodically review their customer accounts.  It isn’t a reflection on you.  I’m sure they did this to other accounts that have activity like yours.  However, this is often a step that a company with financial problems will take.  I don’t know any details of Nordstrom’s finances, just saying that’s what other companies have done.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Men's Nordstrom opened recently here.  Manhattan flagship will open across the street from it in October. 

I do feel lucky that we still have Macy's and Bloomingdales here, too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@traveler , the Anchorage Nordstrom’s was the first Nordstrom’s I ever shopped at in the late 1980’s.  I loved it.  I was in Alaska on business.  I remember exactly what I bought...two dresses suitable for upscale business evenings.  LM 

Trusted Contributor

Our local Nordstrom closed here years ago.  Maybe it's a sign of the times to come.  So many stores are closing, Payless Shoe Source recently closed all it's stores also and so many others. 

Super Contributor

Interesting for you to explain that because I brought up that EXACT possibility with the CR rep.  He avoided the question, but it sounds like you have good insight, and it really is the only rationale explanation.  And, while it may help their books, it still doesn’t inspire my loyalty.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

One reason given for the Anchorage closing, besides the usual "shift to online sales," is demographics.  Thay say oil companies - and their "multiple layers of well-paid executives" - have downsized or left Anchorage in the last twenty-five years.