Esteemed Contributor

Today at my local airport,  a sizable drug bust was made.

A man checked his bag, and inside was 12 pounds of marijuana, packaged for sale/distribution.

The local police gave the man a citation, and he was allowed to board his flight!

His final destination?

Tennessee.

Unbelievable.

You would think that he would have been arrested, but he wasn't.

Whoever he was supposed to make the delivery to isn't going to be too happy when he shows up empty handed.

So, what are some stories making your local news?

Esteemed Contributor

I, too, would have thought he'd be arrested, but then what do I know?  

My local news for the past several days has been the story about the 4 murdered young men in Bucks County.  Not far from where I live, it's a tragic story that's still unfolding.  

Esteemed Contributor

In our local newspaper yesterday, our local clinic/hospital is changing hands in January 2018 & what started out as a locally owned farmer's market 75 years ago & now has 5 stores is closing on September 30th.  Leaving 150 full-time/part-time employees looking for jobs.

Honored Contributor

It doesn't surprise me.  My daughter lives in Denver, Colorado, where it's legal.

She said most companies still check for drugs but probably not like in other states so much.

She said at least in Denver they have a very bad problem with druggies, homless people.  Pot is easy to get and the weather there isn't as cold all of the time as people think.

This state has money coming out their ears due to all of the pot sales.  So, this Winter I said to here here in Va the stuff they put on the roads to melt the snow just doesn't work well.

She said, 'that's because in Va they use the cheap stuff and in Colorado we are able to buy the expensive stuff due to pot sales, etc'.  Ha!

She said during the Presidential election they voted on what do do with the money from the pot sales.

This country is so messed up when it comes to drugs and sex and violence (what else is there).  Ha!

Anyway, remember 'the war on drugs, etc'?  Well, now it's a war on Oxy.  Except they need to meet some of the people I meet in a reputable Dr's office.  These are people that can't be helped by operations.  They are in so much pain.

I asked my Dr about using pot for pain and she said studies have shown that it really doesn't work well on managing pain.  

So, it is becoming acceptable more and more.  Many people believe it often leads into heavier drugs.  Whatever you believe it seems like (in so many things here in this country) one side is working against the other side.  Doesn't make sense to me.

Valued Contributor

In Denver today, a transient went into the ER and was carrying a black trash bag with 13 lbs of marijuana. He said he got it out of a trash bin. Colorado doesn't allow pot stores to just dump it in the trash, it has to be disposed of properly and I don't think the stores would risk losing their license to throw it away wrongly.

Colorado has had an influx of people moving here, some are here to illegally grow the plants in rented homes. You should see the messes in the houses that are left. They are found out by the homes' soaring utility fees. 

And car accident incidents are on the rise since the induction of legal marijuana says an insurance study last month.

Respected Contributor

A couple was arrested for killing their 3 yr old daughter.  She was covered with cuts, bruises and burns.  Makeup had been applied to her body in an effort to conceal the injuries.  She was malnourished and had been taunted with food as evidenced by their own cell phone videos.  The couple had two other children who were taken and placed in state custody.  Now these dirt bags are requesting a furlough to get out of jail to attend the girl's funeral.

Esteemed Contributor

These are all disturbing stories, especially yours @Scooby Doo.  That poor sweet child.  Can you even imagine treating someone that way?  What a sick world we live in.  

Valued Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

A couple was arrested for killing their 3 yr old daughter.  She was covered with cuts, bruises and burns.  Makeup had been applied to her body in an effort to conceal the injuries.  She was malnourished and had been taunted with food as evidenced by their own cell phone videos.  The couple had two other children who were taken and placed in state custody.  Now these dirt bags are requesting a furlough to get out of jail to attend the girl's funeral.

I am absolutely sickened by this.  Death must have come as a welcome relief for that innocent little girl. God bless her little soul.  These sick individuals knew exactly what they were doing since they recorded it on their cell phones.  They need to exit this earth.  It seems like there is more and more of this horrific child abuse in our society.  In my opinion, let the punishment fit the crime.  For example, if you leave your child in a hot car for 5 hours so you can go shopping, you should be left in a hot car for 5 hours.  If you starve and beat a child, your punishment should be the same.  The laws need to become more stringent so these sick perpertators suffer the same fate as their innocent victims.   docsgirl

Honored Contributor

Even if he was not a licensed seller I believe in CA it is only a misdemeanor if you have grown/cultivated/packaged pot for sale.  Not worth it for prosecuting him.

It may have been his own home grown pot, too, so there is no telling if he owed a different grower or if a dealer was waiting for him in TN to buy it.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh